1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Question for those not living in USA about food...

Discussion in 'General' started by Thacrudd, 26 Feb 2010.

1. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

So I was wondering, the most common type of cheese to put on a burger here in the USA is American cheese. You get it a McDonalds, Burger King and most any other fast food restaurant. It is usually the only type of cheese at most any backyard grill-out here also. My question is, what cheese is most common to put on burgers in fast food and grill-outs in Europe and elsewhere, and are burgers and hotdogs the normal food for grill outs for you as well.

BTW american cheese is not my favorite by a long shot. It's tasteless and tacky. I prefer a nice block of cheese and a knife to a box of doughnuts any day so any talk about cheese is fair game as well.:thumb:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Most burgers come with the imitation yank cheese on 'em, although it depends what class of burger you get. Usually if it's a restaurant rather than just a bar/takeout type place you can have real cheese.

For a meal which has normal cheese it's either country-specific (i.e. French/Italian cheese) or just some grated Cheddar (the default and most popular cheese in the UK).

Most food doesn't have cheese on it though.

3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

It's usually plastic (processed) cheese here in the UK, I personally put Cathedral City (Strong cheddar) on anything warm and Emmental (mild but really creamy) in colder stuff like sandwiches

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

try pepper jack cheese.. I always have a block in the house (I know I'm not in the uk lol) it's good stuff- best to stay away from the burgers too.. long john silvers I'd stay away from that fish also- my mom works up in a cannery in alaska- she's the qc and knows what goes into the 'vat' rofl

let's just say you don't want to know

5. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

If it's not from a fast food place it'll usually be some kind of melty cheese (mozzarella) or maybe even feta. Personally I cannot stand cheddar when it's melted, it doesn't go gooey it goes a bit. Odd.

6. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Spitfire cheese :)

(contains chillies, and boy do you know about it the next time you drop your load :/).

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Local pub chain here in the UK puts Monteray Jack on its burgers. ummmmmmm well nice.

Morrisions are doing some chilli'd edam at the mo (samples on the deli) thats pretty fiery.

8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Bit of cheddar would be my choice. Real cheddar though - not mass produced crap that's supplied in supermarkets. Godminster would be my weapon of choice.

9. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Imitation yank cheese, pepper jack cheese or I find quite often a blue cheese like stilton (in pubs not burger joints).

10. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

So is american cheese not the usual cheese that comes on the burgers at McDonalds or Burger King in Europe?

11. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

We call it Freedom Cheese.

(not really!)

12. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

It may be similar but for marketing reasons it's probably not known as 'American Cheese'.

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I pretty much only eat Mozzarella cheese. Not real, buffalo, wet stuff, but Morrisons do amazing almost-mozzarella.

And don't be fooled by American Cheese, it's not really cheese!

Question for Americans, does American Cheese ever go off/bad?

14. Gunter

Gunter What's a Dremel?

Well here at mac they use mostly cheddar but the non-franchise fast food chains use mozzarella and the "normal" cheese that it's called prato or lanche, very similiar to the Danbo cheese.

15. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Homemade burgers with smoked bacon and Dolcelate cheese :thumb:

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Your question is flawed. What starts off bad cannot go bad.

But I doubt it, the little Kraft packs individually wrap each slice so even if the main package is open the slices will last for a while longer, if not forever. The stuff seems to have more relation to plastic than cheese so I have my doubts.

17. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

*deleted*

Last edited: 13 Nov 2017
  18. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

At home and most good places, it's a chedder variant.

International fast food places, like McD's have their own supply chain and it will be the closest to what the Americans use. They strive for standardization. IIRC, Parmalat makes presliced American cheese, and it's used most places outside the US.

19. JasonCase24

JasonCase24 What's a Dremel?

If I'm not mistaken, food chains here in our place use cheddar cheese for their burgers or hotdog sandwiches. It's either the sheet type or the melted one. Melted cheddar is mixed with mushrooms for burgers and bacons for hotdog sandwiches.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2010
  20. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

It's the same cheese at mcdonalds here as over there.
    We don't call it "American cheese" though it's usually just called processed cheese.
    But yes the exact same.

Tags: