1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Question on creating an opening in a side panel (aluminum)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by error404, 1 Nov 2009.

1. error404

error404 What's a Dremel?

I have a TJ07 with no side window (inverted MB tray)

Anyway, I want to create a side window, but I want it to have a small radius (1/2") in the corners (to match the grills openings)

[​IMG]

I haven't cut aluminum panels with a jig saw yet, but I get the feeling that creating such a small radius will be problematic. I'll definitely buy a new blade with as many teeth per inch I can find... but is there a minimum turning radius that I should consider / follow?

I could drill the corners to the specific radius, but I know from experience that when I try to cut the straight lines it would look like this:

[​IMG]
    Picture taken from "PROJECT: MM Pinnacle 300 (previously Ugly Duckling) "

I could I use my dremel to fix those conditions, but I'm not sure if that's the best solution either. I have access to an air compressor too. In the picture above the person used a nibbler, I could buy a air nibbler if that would make better cuts in a straight line?!

[​IMG]

what would you guys do in this situation?!

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

hi,
    yay my first post. finally. My recommendation, draw a square, rectangle etc, and put in the curves.
    When i comes time to cut, use a jigsaw, cutting the curve as close as possible, then file the rest. If you have a half-round file, that would be ideal. At least thats the way i would do it.

Good luck!!:thumb:

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I have read recently that others on this forum have found that this:

[​IMG]

can be used effectively for corner radius things.

john

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

+1. Do the sums on the offset, then just drill holes (stepper drill like John illustrates will do it just fine, as will a normal drill with the appropriate radius) in the corners. Then jig between the holes, and file out to avoid the effect you point out. Or even just cut the straights, leaving a little tab in the corner which you can drill out to kill two birds with one stone, as it were.

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

my god i need to get me one of those!!:baby::baby: