1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Question on GTX 580 versus HD 6970 stability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bhanja_trinanjan, 25 Jul 2011.

1. bhanja_trinanjan

bhanja_trinanjan What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I am extremely satisfied with the stability of the Radeon HD4890 on my current desktop. I had numerous problems with the 8800GTS 320 and the 8800GT in the past.

The thing is that I am building a new PC on a new motherboard. Should I spend extra cash and get the GTX 580? Or, should I just settle for the HD6970? (2 X HD 6950 Crossfire is more expensive than GTX 580 in India.)

I know that the GTX 580 is quite a bit faster and a lot more expensive.

However, I am wary of potential freezes and NVLDDMKM errors, if I go the Nvidia route.

Please help. Motherboard is an Asus Z68. (P8Z68 V PRO)

Thanks,
    Trinanjan.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I havent had any of those errors since I was running 2 8800GT's in SLI, I have since had a 275 (for two years) and now have a 560TI and again no driver problems whatsover.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I was am and was using Nvidia cards since their first card Riva TNT1, and I can tell you, I never had any problems with Nvidia graphic cards.
    I think you had a faulty GPU, or the manufacture of the card was total crap.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

...oh and I forgot to say those 8800gt's are still in use in my kids pc's and they don't get any errors either.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've had both ATI and Nvidia cards - I think you'll be ok with the 580 if that's the one you want. Just make sure you buy from a reliable board partner as Goodbytes suggests.

My personal favourite are:

XFX - (now have UK RMA team)
    EVGA
    Asus
    Gigabyte
    MSI

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sounds like the firmware of the GPU didn't like your motherboard, usually, good manufactures, offer firmware updates for GPU's, which might solve issues like these. I never had to use them, thought.

7. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

4MX, 7950GT, and GTX560 Ti here, no graphics related crashes to report. And yes, my graphics upgrades skip many many generations.