1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics questions for the wiser

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kiwi-x, 24 Mar 2004.

1. kiwi-x

kiwi-x What's a Dremel?

Here is my understaning of things..

voltage in a circuit requires a potential difference between the pole and the ground.

lets say that a circuit uses a 12+ for the pole and 0 for the ground - - this carries a 12v potential

2nd. use a 12+ for the pole and a 5+ for the ground - - this carries a 7v potential

- - - MY QUESTION supose you take a 0 for the pole and a 12+ for the ground -- this should be a -12v potential. Or on the same note take the 0 for the pole and a -12 for the ground and this should be a 12v potential

in DC electronics is there actually difference in between using either of these 2 power sources
    A. 0 cathode w/ -12 anode : (0) - (-12) = 12
    B. 12 cathode w/ 0 anode : (12) - (0) = 12
    **if I messed up in order for cathode/anode I appologize, but I'm sure you all get the point I'm getting at**

ARE (A) and (B) the same?? - i'm not too clear on this

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

You're line of reasoning is correct. The only thing you have to watch out for is when you have a voltage requirement that is in reference to ground. With your examples, you have the leeway in being able to alter both points, but one of which might be fixed. For example, graphic LCD display typically require a negative voltage for contrast, but this has to be in reference to ground. In that case, your negative voltage HAS to be X number of volts below ground, you can't, say, use a low positive voltage for the anode and a higher positive voltage for the anode.