1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling questions: order, equipment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by k.a., 25 Jun 2003.

1. k.a.

k.a. What's a Dremel?

Gotta few questions, since im pretty much a nub at WC and i want it defenetly for my next rig :)

I defenetly don't want a set, since i HATE to have things done for me.. and like to pick everything by hand and DO it myself... but i need some support here =)

System is suppost to do CPU GPU NB

.. and i'm thinking about HD like Aqua-Drive (main reason is volume .. is there anything.. less expensive that also keeps noise inside??)

the main reason for WC is the volume, i want my next one to be quiet.. and of corse nice looking, effecitve, best, cheap etc :naughty:

now according to a german CPU-WC chart, the Atotech got the best results.. though they say, that it slows the water (not 100% firm at english btw) alot.. so should i take a different one, since that would be more effective for cooling the other devices?? Sould i go for innovaPlex-O-Matic (1st runner up, looks better)? or did i miss something completly? (goin AMD btw)

also what order do u advice? CPU -> GPU -> NB .. or the other way around??

Next up.. GPU.. i didn't find any GPU-WC-charts (are there any?) what do u advice? (still not sure if radeon or GF FX, though probably FX) i read somewhere, that Graphic-Card-Memory cooling is just a visual effect and a waste of money ... i got this info 2nd hand... is it? if no, passive? or something like this:
    http://www.wassergekuehlt.de/Bilder/nv1.jpg
    Euro 79,99 for mem-cooler :confused:

(btw i should mention, that i'm 20 and dont have unlimited budget)

pump: Eheim 1048 unless u guys tell me, that 1046 is more than enough
    and.. how much heat does that pump generate? can i place the pump into its own (missing the engish words here) .. "cage" surroundet by ... sponge-like-silent-material (whats it called??) without aircirulation??

radiator: Heattransformer-Dual

PSU is probably gonna be a enermax 350W (i don't really trust no-name PSU'S and cant afford WC'ed) with some 7V papst.. or maybe rear 7v papst, inside 120mm 7v..

thx in forward for answering the questions.. and please do correct me :)

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

What is the main reason for you starting watercooling? Is it noise or do you need to get lower temperatures for overclocking?

ps. Your English is good :D much much better than my German :p

3. k.a.

k.a. What's a Dremel?

main reason is noise, 2. the look ;)

3. would be OC'ing, though i dont even know if i got enough money after the summer to buy ANY hardware =)

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

On the cpu block, if it got good scores on more than 1 site it should be semi good. As for the flow some blocks are designed for higher flow than others, I would email the company and ask them what they recommend......

GPU block. Not nearly as important as far as design compared to a cpu block. As long as the block is seated properly it really wont matter what block it is imo....

Harddrive cooler: Pretty much a waste imo unless you have some scsi drives that actually need water cooling....

Order will always depend on your setup, but I usualy suggest trying this order first:

Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> NB -> HD? -> Radiator -> Resivor? -> Pump

5. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Haddy - they are also useful for cooling 7200rpm IDE drives which can get unhealthily hot in a reduced airflow box (it can also happen with front mounted rads warming the intake air).

Bear in mind that the manufacturer's tend to quote suitable operating temperature of 5-55°C.
    Before I got my coolers in, My 60GXPs hit 60° and I had one die not long after (possibly unrelated but uncannily timed). :waah:

k.a. - Have you got a link to that review? The one I read compared it to the older Cuplex and the Silver SE version, whereas the newer Evo actually outperforms both of those.

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

I said, or atleast meant is that the waterblock was unneeded not that cooling wasnt needed....You should have air flow through your case anyway as it will also effect the rest of you system...

7. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Oh, sorry.

It's just that my clear case doesn't have any fans in it at all.
    That way I don't get the associated dust problem. :clap:

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

But you get the associated heat problems =) Panty hose is a mans best friend.....err wait I didnt mean that how it sounded :p

9. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Lol! :lol: :D

10. k.a.

k.a. What's a Dremel?

Sorry pug, but i'm one of those guys who check google, then write things down on some piece of paper... that dissapears sooner or later.

Back to a few questions:

1. HD cooler (had a 45gig IBM almost break down on me cause of heat.. had to spend couple of hours in chkdsk afterwards)... is there anything less expensive that also keeps the noise inside? or would you guys suggest a slow 120mm fan instead?

2. Graphiccard-memory: do i need to cool it?? is some old passive cooler enough today?

3. can i mount the pump into its own little box WITHOUT aircirulation? would it get to hot?

and another way to ask: what CPU-Block would you advice? (maybe 2, so i can pick the cheaper :)

thnx again!

Tags: