1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Questions, Questions (Cold Cathodes, Acrylic Suppliers, RF Shielding, Exhaust Fans)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Nice Guy Mike, 25 Feb 2010.

1. Nice Guy Mike

Nice Guy Mike What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I have a few questions for my (now started) build (mentioned in a previous question here , but I didn't want to spam the forum with a bunch of new threads, so I figured I'd combine them:

1) Cold Cathode Lamps - How much heat do they output? I'm considering placing a 1-2 in closed-off compartments (1 compartment per side, approx 12-13" square, 1" deep) without direct ventilation, is this a bad idea? I could cut vents at the top and bottom that open into the main body, but there wouldn't be directed airflow. Bad idea?

The Cold Cathode lamps will be used to illuminate translucent Acrylic sheet, either UV Lamps on fluorescent acrylic, or white or coloured lamps with coloured acrylic - will either choice make an impact on potential heat build up?

Is it possible to buy Cold Cathode lamps which are software controlled, simple on-off and maybe brightness control?

2) Acrylic Suppliers - A couple of weeks ago I found a US supplier who a) were about half the price of Moddersmart and b) offered to supply swatches (for a "nominal fee", as I recall). I can't find the site now, but can anyone point me to potentials?

3) RF Interference - Wood is a great material for me to work in (damn sight easier than metal for me), but of course, you don't get any RF shielding either for the components inside or for that matter from the components inside. Have any of you wood builders ever worried/spotted problems/done somethign about this? I figure even a simple layer or two of aluminium foil might be worth a go, if you can make a Faraday cage (albeit one with gaps for air vents and I/O panels).

4) Exhaust Fans - do you guys recommend one-in, one-out for your fan layouts, or do you work on an "overpressure" setup with more fans blowing in and allowing a buildup of static pressure inside the case to push warm air out? I'm probably going to go with a pair of 120mm fans blowing air into the case at the bottom, and there's a 120mm fan internal to the PSU, but it won't exhaust directly out of the case in my currently-planned layout. I'm trying to figure out if I need an exhaust fan at the top to help the air out or not.

Any info people could provide on any of the above would be most welcome, thanks.