1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Quick Noobie Question!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolicus, 9 Jun 2011.

1. coolicus

coolicus What's a Dremel?

Hey guys!

Now i have a rather silly question but do I need to plug the psu of my computer directly into the wall? Or will it be okay for me to use one of those adapter type things with loads of sockets for plugs?

If it makes any difference the PSU is a Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800 Watt (got it for £100 which seems like a steal :p!) - I ask now because whilst I'm not going to have all the stuff for my computer until early July (when I gert my next paycheck) I would like to know in advance so I can reconfigure the computer room if necessary in terms of what plugs into where :p!

Thank you in advance and I hope you understand what I am getting at!

:D

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've got mine plugged into an extension cord and it's fine.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not that mine's ever been tripped but I always have mine plugged into a surge protected extension.

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed with both of the above.

5. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Amen brother.

Probably overkill but they cost next to nothing, so why not?

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

You only have to worry about plugging a PC into the wall if you're using something like a 1.5KW PSU, because it'll draw more amps than Extension Cables are usually rated for, otherwise; you're fine.

7. coolicus

coolicus What's a Dremel?

Okay thank you for the helpful replies guys I really appreciate it!

Also just as a point of interest do you reckon with the way efficiency in terms of power is increasing there will ever be a need for higher PSU's? I'm not sure what the highest enthusiast PSU's are at the moment 1.5 I know of but is there 2k 0.o? Although I suppose there was a time when people thought XYZ would be enough in terms of computing and had to eat their hat - e.g the 2TB addressable limit for a boot drive (although who boots an OS on a 2TB drive is beyond me?)

I would assume its unlikely in the immediate future (couple of years) you would ever need for than say 800W for any single card setup.

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

And even then only when you're using 1.5KW, so it's pretty safe as long as you aren't plugging 5 million plugs into extension devices then you aren't likely to hit their limits.

9. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Just remember you've got up to 3KW from each wall socket so provided you not plugging anything enormously power hungry into the same strip you should be fine.

+1 for the surge protectors

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

not really true unless your buying a super cheap extension with a 3A fuse

a 1.5KW PSU working at say a rubbish 60% efficiency will draw 2400W and over uk 230V thats just over ~10-11A
    13A fuse in your extension and its fine.

+1 to storms answers its dependent on what devices you have pulled in and you will NEVER require the full 1.5KW of power from your PC anyway even in a triple SLI situation