1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Quick question about dual channel ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zetax, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Zetax

Zetax What's a Dremel?

Hey

Atm, i have 2x1gb of OCZ ram in 1 channel.

Would there be any problem if i put a 2x2gb Corsair in channel 2?

Totalling 6gb of ram.

Thx

Last edited: 20 Jan 2010
  2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Can't see why there would be.

3. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

Yes. Dual and triple channel needs to have matched memory across all channels for it to work properly.

The memory would still work, just not necessarily in dual mode.

EDIT: The fact that it's 2 different manufacturers also complicates matters. Your best bet is probably to go for 4 matched 1GB sticks rather than mixing sizes and manufacturers.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2010
  4. Zetax

Zetax What's a Dremel?

Okay.

But i was under the impression that they only needed to be identical if they were on the same channel. E.g. 2x1gb and 2x2gb, each in there own channel.

Obviously im mistaken. : (

5. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

oh dear it seems my computer shouldn't work. I have a pair of 512MB memory modules and a pair of 1GB memory modules.

Because both modules are accessed simultaneously in dual channel mode the sizes, frequencies and timings need to be identical however if modules with different frequencies or timings are installed theoretically they should work at the slowest frequencies and timings. This doesn't always work in practice though. That is why using matched pairs is recommended for dual channel.

Installing 2 different matched pairs shouldn't present a problem, hence why my computer does actually work.

6. Zetax

Zetax What's a Dremel?

Im getting very confused now. Can someone offer a definitive answer to all of this?

7. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

you have channel 1 and channel 2.

each of these has 2 slots.

it is possible to put mismatching RAM into different channels, but you need to have matching RAM within a channel. so the RAM in channel 1 must match, and the RAM in channel 2 must match. but the RAM in the 2 channels dont need to match each other.

so the plan you have in the OP will work, however, the frequency of the RAM will be lowered to the lowest common denominator, and the timings will be changed to match.

8. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Ypu, I have a really old desktop with 2x 512MB and 2x 256MB DDR. definitely works, just put two of the same in one channel and the other two of the same in the other channel.

9. she'shighvoltage!

she'shighvoltage! What's a Dremel?

My comp now has 2x2GB and 2x1GB of RAM, runs fine.