1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Quick question (acrylic)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hazer, 23 Apr 2003.

1. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Ive searched, but Im looking for more direct answers.

For 0.250 inch acrylic:

Using a dremel for cutting out holes of various shapes, I have 1/8th and 1/4 routing flute bits. What is the best speed (the 1-10 on the side of the dremel) that you have found to be the best for cutting such a thickness?

Also, from one of Linear's many acrylic guides, he said that the gluing edges should not be sanded/buffed down to clear finish. So how far do you go to clean up the edges that are to be used for gluing?

Last: USPlastics has IPS weld-on #16 in a tube on thier website. Im gonna be purchasing some clear rods that cant be oufnd in my immediate area, so I was wondering if using the #16 cement was worth adding it to the cart when I make my purchase.

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Minimodder

Correct me if im wrong but don't the glueing edges have to be rough so that the glue has got something to stick too and bond with

3. linear

linear Minimodder

Hmmm, I don't recall saying that exactly. I almost certainly did say 'don't flame polish an edge you plan on gluing.'

If you're gonna glue, don't bother polishing the edge, but you do want it flat. So sand with 220 grit, okay, but don't continue the process up through higher grits.

Also, Dremel bit-wise, I love 561, the general purpose spiral cutting bit. I did my port cutouts freehand with that and shaped them with needle files afterward. I didn't do this, but you should buy the cutting kit that comes with the attachment and a few spiral cutting bits, it's only 11-12 bucks and the 561 bit alone is probably 5-6 bucks.

#16 is good stuff, and if you're going with that (as opposed to #3 or #4) you for sure don't need to go overboard finishing your edges.

Hope that helped.

4. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Thanks a ton man. First DIY project should be done in a week (its only a component, but it may interest a few people with acrylic cases). Will post results soon.