1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Quick question re:painting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dawg218, 20 Nov 2011.

1. dawg218

dawg218 What's a Dremel?

Hey all, been a while since I've been active on here but I figured that since I now have a more or less permanent place, I might as well try to ease myself back into modding.

Not sure if anyone's familiar with an old project of mine, Project Mopar (if you don't remember it, just forget about it for now), but I want to strip the case and re-paint it. My problem with this is, where I'm living right now, using loud power tools isn't an option, and since there are little kids around painting outside isn't really an option either. (Oh yeah, and my fiance's pregnant too, so I gotta make sure I have as little fumes as possible.)

The case I'm looking at redoing is aluminum with plastic fascias, but I may end up having no choice but to reorder some parts. (I ended up butchering part of the fascia trying out an idea that kinda failed.) I want the case to be red with some kind of interior detailing.

I have very little money right now, as I'm waiting to start a job after Thanksgiving Stateside. Airbrushing is out of the question, since even if the compressor didn't make noise I wouldn't have the money to buy all the parts I need; I've been doing research most of the day trying to figure this out.

So basically, here's my "requirements":
    1) Must be inexpensive, as in each bit of whatever must be less than $10. Rattle-can, paint brush, whatever... must be <$10.
    2) Little to no fumes. (Aside note: I can, if need be, use a couple 120mm fans and a shroud to extract some of the fumes, set that up to be lodged in my window for an hour or so... I live in NE Minnesota)
    3) Preferably something I don't have to order online, as I don't want to have to use any friends' credit/debit cards.
    4) Must be apartment- and neighbor-friendly.

So, if you guys have any suggestions you can throw my way, that would be greatly appreciated! Hope to hear back soon from ya.

2. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

You want to mod and paint a case in a flat.. in silence? :eyebrow:

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Painting out side is really the only option, spray will kick up no matter what you try. The only other option is bush it on and then flatten out the brush marks. Thats going to be a lot of hard work.

4. dawg218

dawg218 What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the delay in posting, I've been working on unpacking a bunch of stuff here.

bulldogjeff, do you have any ideas for doing the brushing work? I do have a storage unit about 1/4 mile away, so if I have to I can wait till spring to do any painting work, but it seems like it'd be a fun challenge lol.

MarkW7, it's not necessarily that I have to mod in utter silence, it's just that I'm trying to be as considerate of my neighbors as possible, and I have a 10:00 PM noise ordinance. Being that I have an odd internal clock, I never really know when the modding bug will hit me, which is why I'm looking at doing as much stuff quietly as possible.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

with brushing you have to keep everything flat to stop the runs and thin the paint down just a tiny bit so it goes on flatter. If done right really good results can be achieved, but there will be a lot of rubbing down to make it look good. If you have access to that storage unit and can get away with spraying, that is the way to go.