1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Quick Questions that Don't Deserve Their own Thread... Thread.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 11 Jan 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Well I've seen a bunch of little questions that have taken big chunks out of other threads' discussions, asked a few myself, and I figured maybe there should be a place for small questions like "I'm upgrading X part, which brand or model should I get?" or "Hey guys, what's the best X part for the money?" stuff like that. Little questions that only need one or two answers. It's just an idea, if it doesn't work then feel free to abandon thread. If there already is a thread like this then I apologize, I didn't notice it.

Rules:
    1: No "is this build okay?" questions, as those often take a large chunk of discussion. Those should go in their own Build Advice thread.

2: Don't start a "which brand is better" overall question. Ask instead which particular part is better, i.e: Which CPU should I get for light gaming? or Which GPU should I get for general use? as these are limited to a specific part

3: Don't start yelling at someone for preferring a brand if they have a legitimate reason beyond 'cuz teh uther one sux' example: "I like my Mac because it's durable and runs well." This does not mean you should bite their head off for having a Mac.

4: Just generally be nice.

5: Have fun!

I'll start, I guess: For fairly light rendering with Lightwave 10 and 1920x1200 gaming, would I need more than 8gb of RAM, or would 16gb be the better option? If so, what format (2x8, 4x4, etc) should I go with?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm not sure what you are proposing here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that all these questions go into this thread alone? So if I just want to know "I'm upgrading X part, which brand or model should I get?" I post it in here rather than make a new thread? Won't that make it very difficult for someone to search for if this thread inevitably ends up containing millions of discrete questions? The times I've Googled a question only to have Google point me back to Bit tech is amazing... sometimes, it's faster to search bit tech via Google than it is via Bit tech :) Put them all in one thread and it will make searching for answers almost impossible.

Why do you propose this anyway? What's the advantage?

As for build threads, we've already got all this covered.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=182284

3. Deders

Deders Modder

^this^, it will be much less confusing for people if threads are separate otherwise we'd get overlapping answers, endless email notifications etc.

4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Not going to work in my opinion as it will get too messy and people will start to ask the same questions as they won't be bothered to check through pages and pages of questions. At least this way as pooky said (god I hate agreeing with that bloke :D:thumb:) it's easier to search using google to find a thread on bit-tech

5. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Well it was just an idea. It worked pretty well back on Facepunch back when I was there, and I figured it was worth a try here. The idea was for little questions that don't really need more than one answer could be asked and answered quickly here. Not a specific kind of question, just small ones. I guess I figured it might reduce forum clutter. I mean more basic questions like "what's the difference between X and Y motherboards," "I have this part and this part, which is better?" "why should I get USB 3.0" "What's the advantage of X Y and Z technology?" Simple stuff like that. But if it won't work then let it die, by all means.

6. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Questions that are small are meant for the hardware section if we put them in one thread we won't have anything to put in the hardware section apart from build threads

7. Deders

Deders Modder

It's rare that you find one answer threads in this forum, everyone has a different insight and sometimes post to re-enforce an opinion. Still, nice idea.

8. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

And where are people like feathers gonna troll if it is all contained in one thread? xD

But anyway, nice idea but I don't think it would work here. Because, I personally like to browse
    hardware thread titles and look at those that seem interesting.
    If it was all in one thread, i'd be scrolling for days after a week or so. :)

9. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

whats the point in o/c with LN2 or even helium, considering its highly unsustainable to run on a daily basis, unless of course your seeking to break records, other that this why bother?

Last edited: 11 Jan 2012
  10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

^ There is no real "point" to extreme cooling; it's fun, pure and simple. Many of the guys who do it aren't attempting to break any records, but there is a good competitive spirit which is what makes it a lot like a sport.

And it's "LN2" (liquid nitrogen), not "NO2" (nitrogen dioxide)! :D

11. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Typo, yea get what you mean.

12. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

first little question:

''why this thread''

13. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

You just explained the point yourself. Nobody runs LN2 for everyday use, only in competitions.