1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Quick Router question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sco0by, 27 Mar 2002.

1. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Does a router allow you to network several pc`s together?, or is it just a device for sharing an internet connection - and a hub/switch is required for the networking side of things...

Help - I cant wrap my head round networking concepts! :rolleyes:

2. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

A Router in its simplest terms - switches packets from one network/subnet to another. A switch does basically the same function but sends packets directly to known devices on the same network. A Hub just broadcasts the packets to all devices on the same segment it is connected to. You can connect devices on two networks ie.. 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 into the same hub or switch and they can't talk IP to each other, only devices on the same network they are one. This is where a router is needed...connect a router to that same hub (properly configured) and then they can talk across the networks to one another...

I hope this makes sense...
    Dakar

Last edited: 27 Mar 2002
  3. pszaro

pszaro What's a Dremel?

4. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

as for sharing a internet connection, you dont necessarily need a router, just a device that can do NAT (network address translation), ie, handing out private ip's to each system, and pay for only one public ip..

5. theotherphil

theotherphil What's a Dremel?

I use the Netgear RT314 which is a 4 port switch and router with built in hardware firewall. It is pretty cheap and allows 4 of my machines to share my NTL broadband connection.

6. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Thanks theotherphil - I have been looking at the Netgear one you have ;) - does it allow the pc`s to be networked so you can share drives and printers and the like?

Welcome to the forums too btw :D

7. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

Yes the Netgear allows you to share drives and printers on each machine, and even play lan games across the lan including such things as quake, hl, and hearts. I have set the Netgear router up in about 10 minutes for some people, while there can be complications. I prefer the Netgear over the Linksys ones, just because the Linksys never work on the first try, always something to fiddle with,

Hope that helps

Iamgoodyy

8. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Cool! :dude:

Thanks that did help - I`ll be ordering the netgear come next payday :D

9. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

NAT Routers are called Routers because they as all routers do forward packets from one interface to another - in their case from a PPP interface (modem dialup link) to an Ethernet interface (LAN) link.

to connect a LAN to the internet over a modem you will need something to act as a NAT router, either a small box such as the Netgear RT series, or a computer which is set up and configured to do the job.

for beginners with enough money, the small dedicated box solution is much better.

Tags: