1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Quiet Bookshelf Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fuus, 7 Nov 2014.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Hey guys looking to spend up to £500 on a speaker setup to the following prerequisites;
    -Can amplify music from a phono output from my Schiit DAC.
    -Can play DAB Radio
    -Potentially Airplay?
    -A pair of bookshelf speakers

I was recommended Wharfedale 122 speakers, however my friend keeps recommending AV Receivers as an amp and I swear there must be a better alternative?

Cheers, Fuus

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Schiit Audio: "Yes, that is our name. Shih-tah"

I'm reminded of Hyacinth Bucket.

fuus likes this.
  3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Keeping Up Appearances was a glorious invention.

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2616...3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

These Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers are known to punch well above their price bracket in terms of quality and at that price would leave you plenty to buy a decent amp. They are fairly hard to come by however outside the US so you would have to look around for a UK supplier, but as needs grow you can add to them and build the entire set for very cheap.

You can read some user reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

Also the whole set (it can be done with floor standers or just book shelf speakers):

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-PK...15443276&sr=1-3&keywords=pioneer+andrew+jones

Last edited: 8 Nov 2014
  5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

6. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Now looking at the Diamond 220 speakers, just need an appropriate Amp, maybe I should drop the DAB requirement... What would be the best way, getting a DAB component?

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

If your pc is going to be routed through the amp then a usb DAB stick might work :)

8. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I guess that would require an aerial of some description? Sounds like a good option to me!

9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Buy a cambridge azur series amp. I think they are really awesome integrated amps. I've had a couple, I begrudgingly got rid of my old 640A to get a pair of NAD monoblock amps. I had a 340a prior to the 640a.

I think the wharfedale diamond 9 are an acquired taste - I used to have a set that I paired with a big wharfedale powercub sub, and, well the 9's were really really bright with my setup, and I didn't like them. I had them for about 2 years before getting rid and getting a pair of Eltax Monitor 3, which, should be inferior but I found them to be amazing. I still have the pair of monitor 3 which are now about 12 years old, and I still love them. The diamond 9 sound is very sterile, to my ears. Go richer sounds, most of them have demo rooms and they can demo speaker and amp combos for you - it's such a subjective thing, that you really need to give it some time with your ears to find which you like the most.

10. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I've decided to go for the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers, now I just need to find an amp! The Marantz PM6005 looks very tempting!

Anyone recommend a decent USB DVB Tuner?