1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Quiet CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bogomip, 6 Jun 2012.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hi,

So I have just bought a new system and a part of that is the new AMD FM1 3870K-BE APU. Now I suppose a stock cooler will come with it, and it might be loud, and almost certainly will be crap.

What I want is a cheap but good non-waterbased cooler. I might overclock the APU too (but it wont be much) and so I would like it to have to deal with this :)

So to conclude:

- Budget of around £25 MAX (inc delivery).
    - Silent (this is essential)
    - Decent cooler

Bogo

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Gelid Tranquilo fits into the budget, As does the Arctic Cooling 13, both of which are good coolers. Just over the top end (By about 38p) is the Hyper 212, also a very good cooler.

The three should be a bit quieter than the stock AMD heatsink (By a great margin. The FX default heatsink sounds like a small jet-fighter on take off.)

Bogomip likes this.
  3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Thanks, the Freezer 13 looks decent - I will get that :)

+rep, cheers .//Tundra :)

4. Sgoaty

Sgoaty New Member

I have the intel version (i30) its got direct contact heatpipes which you are supposed to apply the TIM too rather than putting it on top of the CPU like normal. I found this a bit of a pain to do and there wasnt quite enough in the box to do it.

It might be worth having some more MX-4 or similar just in case :)

Also as a side note these really are quiet but i didnt find it to perform much better than the freezer 7 it replaced.
    Cheers
    Scott

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

SO, A development.

I purchased a Freezer 13 and it came today! Hurray :) However, whilst I am confident it would fit inside my micro itx case, I forgot to see if it was compatible with my motherboard.

Now the thing is, it IS compatible - it has all the bits that connect and I can connect it up just jollily. The problem is this:

[​IMG]

and thus this:

[​IMG]

Had I gotten very normal memory this wouldnt be a problem... I bought vengeance, which above all else, has a heatsink which doubles its size. This means with my memory on my heatsink wont fit in.

A solution to this could be to rotate the freezer 13 90 degrees:

[​IMG]

as then it fits. My question is. Can I procure a bracket or some kind of system for rotating through 90 degrees? :)

Any other solutions? :S

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

There you have the age old problem with AMD's retention bracket not being symetrical, I doubt theres going to be anything you can do to be honest.

I had the same dilemma with the titan fenrir I purchased, I could only oreintate it blowing up or down, neither of which were practical as I didn't have a roof fan in that particular case. I ended up using it for a while blowing it's exhaust directly into my psu and then purchased a scythe mugen which allows the fan to be fitted on any of the four sides.

7. ripmax

ripmax Active Member

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Thanks for the quick replies, but in racking my brains about this thought... "well, cant I just replace the heatsinks for the MEMORY?".

As that was causing the problem, I took it off and seems it now fits - the problem I have now is finding a decent low profile heat spreader for my memory... any suggestions? Thin at the top is what I need :)

9. CrapBag

That's cool did they come off easy?

You can this sort of heatsink on ebay, various styles and colours but I'm not sure how well they work, giant heat spreaders are a bit of a gimmick I believe (even though I have some gigantic vengeance ones as well)

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Nah, from like ebuyer or somewhere :)

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

why even bother with them?

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Oops, I read your post wrong! Yeah they came off reasonably easily, just pried them with a plastic kitchen utensil :p

I will probably try one of the copper ones off scan first - if that does the trick (i.e. fits) I will order another :)

Thanks for the help!

13. CrapBag

That's going to be a bit pricey with postage.

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  15. CrapBag

Yeh that's the ones I thought you meant but throw on postage and they are £6.58 for one(as you said you would buy just one first).

Bogomip likes this.
  16. Harlequin

again why do you need heatsinks for teh ram? they dont exactly get warm let alone hot

17. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Because they are supplied with them? I dont know, stop asking pointless questions - presumably stability is HIGHER with them than without...

edit: and in response to your post below so this doesnt keep going and hopefully you forget about it... my RAM did come with heatspreaders and so I intend to keep them on it.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  18. Harlequin

its not pointless - micron ram doesnt come with heatspreaders