1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet PSU Round-up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 4 Mar 2004.

1. macroman

macroman The One

El_JimBob likes this.
  2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Good to see a review of the new Zalman there. There aren't very many about yet. :thumb:

I got one of these a few weeks ago and I love it. Quiet as a mouse and suppplies more than enough power for my modest system.

I'm surprised it didn't do a bit better, but I'm more than happy with my choice. :D

3. El_JimBob

El_JimBob What's a Dremel?

Hehe - jumped the gun on u guys here - i ordered a Tagan from Scan yesterday and its due to arrive today :)
    Now normally i wouldnt disregard the fine help this site gives, but after dicking around in the Hardware forum for a couple of weeks, trying to find the right PSU for my lowly system, and finding out that far too many fitted the bill - I eventually laid my eyes on the Tagan in CustomPC mag and bathed in its beauty. Went to a bunch of german sites and saw how in awe of it they were and decided on the spot that, despite the great help i had here at bit-tech, this was gonna be the PSU for me.
    ......and how glad I am to see that your opinions dont differ from the others :lol:
    I shall return soon, hopefully with a big dumb grin on my face, shouting 'best £65 i ever spent!!!!!!!!!' :)

*edit* anyone noticed how similar the insides of the Globalwin are to the Tagan? Same board, tweaked a little methinks....
    *edit*edit* agh, holy cow, beaten by the man with the perfect vision below....

4. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

Nice article. That Tagan looks very nice indeed, especially with the BTX compatability. Will have to run some tests to see how the supply in my Antec Sonata compares. Somethings making too much noise and I'm determined to find out what it is!

On a side note; the internals of the GlobalWin and Tagan look remarkably similar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<EDiT>
    Hehhe, you must have made your edit as I was grabbing URLs. :hehe:

5. edz

edz What's a Dremel?

A word of warning:

Some Tagans also suffers from the same problem you had with the Global Win in your review.

I bought a Tagan TG480-U01 two weeks ago from Scan. After installing it all, I found that the power supply emitted a ticking noise when it was plugged into the mains but not powering the computer. When in normal operation, this noise sounds like this (mp3) and is very irritating.

I RMA'ed the power supply. Scan were unable to find a fault with it (?!) and asked I payed them £23.50 for them to send the faulty unit back to me. I emailed them, though, and they did send me a replacement (but I still out of pocket by the £8 it cost me to post the power supply to them). The replacement arrived and I plugged it in .... same problem as before :(

This was a week ago, I emailed the returns advisor about it the day after I got the replacement but she and Scan don't seem interested as I haven't had a response back.

6. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

sounds like a problem i had with a 90mm fan on an enermax, i stipped the psu, took both fans to bits and greesed the shafts :worried: that did the trick, the other thing it maybe sounds like is if you get a fan and power it, then squeeze it together (slightly..) try taking the cover off and having the fan run in the air (youll have to bridge the green [ps_standby] wired to gorund [if i remmeber correctly] and sometimes you have to have some sort of load [just connect your cd drive up]), this is how i worked out that it was the 90mm fan in the enermax as you can never be too sure, i once had a psu where i thought the fan was broken and it turned out to be a capacitor (was squeeling)...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I must warn that you could die rom running a psu and fiddling in it ! dont bother unless your confident around electrics! andknow what bits are dangerours/high voltage (i only mess becuase i spent a couple of years servicing electronics and know whats what, even then i managed to discharge
    400V through my thumb -> it hurt)
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck, hope its a simple case of you doing nothing, getting youre money back and buying something that doesnt squeal, shame i read this i was just about to buy one, but now i dont know what to get, thermaltake maybe :sigh:

Its probably becuase they both subcontrated the same psu company to design them, or they bought the reference design from company x and both mondified to there own specs ? in my opinion youre correct and there the same design.. either that or they both have just designed the "optimal" layout for cooling a high wattage psu in that shape box ;)

Last edited: 5 Mar 2004
  7. macroman

macroman The One

There are similarities between the two supplies but there are significant differences, and when you factor in the difference in price it's something of a no-brainer. ;)

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Comment spotted at Scan re the Tagan, worth trying if you've got one ;)

9. El_JimBob

Mine, sadly, turned up with the warranty sticker fractured in places - one fone call to scan and theyre sending me another pronto :) Its got a 36 month warranty after all, and i wanna make sure i get that in full....
    Did plug it in tho and didnt seem to be makin any ticking noises - alot of power supplies (for all different types of equipment) do make noises while theyre in standby though. Im pretty sure it doesnt signify a fault. Best thing to do in cases like this is jus switch off the supply at the wall.
    That mp3 does sound like a fan rubbing tho.....
    ****ing weighty bugger tho :) Im still frothing at the mouth in anticipation. After all, who can we trust here more than Macroman. :thumb:

*edit* jus put my ear up to the case and there is a slight ticking, very quiet, certainly cant be heard any distance away from the PSU - possibly a protection circuit maybe? My dad says alot of the supplies on his radio receiver gear do that.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2004
  10. macroman

macroman The One

The ticking noise is normal and nothing to worry about. Most supplies do it to varying degrees. The review Tagan had a slight tick but since most supplies do it I do not usually mention it. In this case however, the Globalwin was, I felt, particularly loud and hence the reference. A three year warranty shows just how much faith the manufacturers have in their product. You will not be disappointed. :D

11. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

just out of interest anyone know what the ticking noise is, as theres no relays in any of the psu;s i have played with apart from the fans i cant imagine what it is, the only noise i have ever come across from a purely electrical component is high pitch squeal that caps make when there operating above there rating (or close to it)

12. El_JimBob

Back again - scan emailed me to say that despite the broken warranty sticker they will honour the warranty - hoorah :rock:

Funny tho - they said in the email that all the PSUs delivered to them had to be opened because they had, and i quote "european power connections. We then swapped these over with the correct UK connections."
    Now Im sure Im right in believing that all PSUs should work in any european country straight out of the box - indeed, the PSU that i have seen on many german review pages seems no different to the one i received. So what have they changed? And why have I never heard of this practice before?
    Sounds like bull**** to me, but ive emailed them back and ill let u know what they say....
    What do u guys think?

13. macroman

macroman The One

That would probably be correct. What they are referring to is the supplied mains cable. In Europe the wall socket end is two pin but it needs to be a 3 pin for UK use.

Apart from the mains cable the supplies are identical and will work on any mains voltage in the range 90 - 250Vac. :D

14. El_JimBob

Yup, somebody with a brain replied and said that it was the leads that were the wrong type (european) and had to be changed. Which somewhat negates the comment about having to open the PSUs up to change components. Why cant they admit that the warranty sticker got broken in error, rather than feeding me some bullcrap story. But theyve said theyll honour the warranty so all is well i suppose. But some weird politics going on at Scan....

15. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Very handy article.. I'm definately on the lookout for one of them Tagans, where did they spring from all of a sudden lol?

Do you know what the ticking is caused by? I have two superflower psus, and there are numerous reports of this brand making quite prominent ticking noises. Before anyone else chimes in, it's NOT fan rubbing.
    The 320W model I have suffers really quite badly but it is not constant, it's seemingly random but sometimes I am convinced it is during high load.
    The 420W model hardly suffers from it at all but I have heard very faint noises, mainly during the first few days of using it. The 320W unit was actually fine early on and developed the ticking over time.

Any info welcomed wholeheartedly :)

Last edited: 12 Mar 2004
  16. swin70

swin70 What's a Dremel?

I have been searching for information of well-built, well-specified PSU's for about 3-4 months that also take into consideration noise levels across the load range yet are a REASONABLE cost. This has proved to be an interesting article.

However, I would like to know how these units line up against some of the other well-known brands such as Antec, Enermax, Q-Technology and the cheap Q-Tech (yes different brands) products.

I have also read the reviews at http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html but again they have not rated the some of these more well known brands. Based on this review, I had al but made up my mind to purchase the SeaSonic SS-400FB PSU, but before I had found this article iI had settled on the Antec 430 True Power, before that it was the Enermax..... err, this list goes on. (also, does anyone know if the SilenX PSU's are avliable in the UK?)

Until this article came along I had looked at the GlobalWin product but discounted it through price, yet I had never heard of the Tagans. I will do a little more research and see how it shapes up in other reviews. It would be interesting to see how ranks when compared to the other quite PSU's in the other article above.

Any one else got any other info on quite PSU's? Maybe bit-tech can approach some of these other manufactures and do an even more comprehensive test.

Chris

Last edited: 12 Mar 2004
  17. El_JimBob

Well, if you want a 'real world' opinion - i gave my Tagan a proper burn-in test today. Rails remained steady throughout, and the noise?? Well.....none at all. The second fan didnt even kick in till about 1hr into the test, when i was running my gfx benchmarks, and it still emitted nothing even resembling a whisper....
    Sys temps went up a little, but i put that down to the fact that i havent installed an intake fan into my case yet.
    Looks like those chunky heatsinks inside it were the right way to go :thumb:

18. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Very nice review. I had been looking at the Globalwin for all the 4 pin Molex, 4 SATA and the 5 fan plugs it had. But, it looks like it dampens the fans too much and there is poor air flow. As far as the price goes, they are cheaper than the PSUs at PC Power and Cooling.

It doesn't look like Tagan is over here. Anybody know of a PSU like the Globalwin without the weak fan support?

:sigh:

19. swin70

swin70 What's a Dremel?

I'm quite excited about these Tagan units and am ordering one in the UK on monday sso hope it will be here to test soon. If i think there good I will be considering open an acount and selling thes via ebay so will ship to the states. If your interested, let me know.

However, in the states you can buy online from http://www.ajump.com and http://www.electroseller.com, both at $90 with free shipping.

Chris

20. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I wanted the four SATA connectors for sure. The extra fan connections would've also been nice to have. (I suppose power supply manufacturers will eventually make more connectors available.) The newer motherboards offer two SATA RAID controllers to run four drives. If you combine that with four devices off of the ATA, loosing two to SATA adapters, then that leaves two (unsplit) 4 pin Molex for lighting and fans. Maybe I'm trying too hard to be quite with a 14 bay case.

:duh:

Last edited: 15 Mar 2004
Tags: Add Tags