1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet PSU Round-up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 4 Mar 2004.

1. El_JimBob

El_JimBob What's a Dremel?

Here's another vote for the Tagan.
    The ticking is basically inaudible over the running sound of a normal system. I've been running mine for a couple of months now, and the sound hasn't affected me at all (unless you put your ear directly next to the PSU, it's not audible in the slightest).

Not to take anything away from Zalman, and all the other manufacturers of great PSUs, but those crazy spods in Germany just might have created the greatest PSU ever.

:thumb:

2. El_JimBob

Just read a review of the new OCZ Powerstream PSU - can anyone say 'Tagan Inside'???? Smae boards, components, heatsinks, layout and everything....

Even more choice now - so if you like PSUs with bells on, then the OCZ looks like being the king for a while yet :)

If however, like me, bells don't interest you in the slightest, then the Tagan still looks like the one to go for.

Oh, and now Macroman can stick 'favoured by high quality memory manufacturers' at the bottom of his Tagan review :D

3. benje

benje What's a Dremel?

I know this is quite delayed responce to this thread, but I have recently been interested in buying a new PSU, and Tagan look favourable from the comments in this thread and the review by macro.

My current PSU is a QTEC 550W dual fan, which is actually very audible, and I can hear a whirring sound from it. No Ticking. However I've been having problems (i think) with this PSU, in the fact that under load (always when Im playing games, cs, etc) my whole PC just powers off, and I have to unplug the PSU and wait for a few monutes before it powers on again.
    I have also recently installed a Watercooling setup in my system, which again could be possible cause for the crashes, however there are no leaks and there seem to be good temps for cpu and system. (30-40).

Anyway I need a new PSU, as ths qtec is obviously cheap sh*t and my old chieftech 360w (altho good) just doesnt supply enough juice for me to get a new HDD.

SO i need a new PSU. - Is this ticking in the tagan really audible?

Bare in mind I have WC, which is pretty silent, the old sound coming from my hdd's, and the virtually silent PAPSt 120mm fan which i have, runs about 24dba.

Thanks

BTW scan no longer have this in today Only :(

4. macroman

macroman The One

The Tagan has been in daily use now for several months without any problems. The ticking is inaudible in use. As I said in the review, you have to stick your ear to the unit to hear it! It really is not a problem. :)

BTW Scan do still have it on their "Today only" page it appears roughly every two weeks. It was on only a few days ago.

5. Planet

Planet What's a Dremel?

I got my Tagan 480W PSU and i am worried it is faulty as my new PC doesn't post and the fans on the PSU don't start. The reason i am posting this msg is i would like to know whether the fans on the PSU come on instantly when it is plugged in or does it only come on when it gets hot.

thanks

Mark

6. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Do you have a link to that?

7. fartonmyear

fartonmyear What's a Dremel?

can i get a tagan PSU in the US?

8. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

9. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

sorry had to add this...

I presume by the no-brainer american mumbo-jumbo you mean that its ovious that they are different. Hmm, same shape heatsinks, same pcb layout, same pcb track layout. Ok so one company has slightly modified theres, maybe put higher rated components on but big deal... they are very much the same guts.

10. El_JimBob

11. rarich

rarich What's a Dremel?

I worked on electronics for a few years in the military and Heatsinks expanding and contracting from heat on some of the equipment would do that. Heatsinks rubbing on components would make ticking sounds when on the test bench. Either tighten up the mounting screws, or use some thermal grease between the heatsink and component. Watch you don't crush something by tightening, or grease something that shouldn't.

I figure those PS get pretty hot with high loads, the 420w one is ticking less than the 320w. High loads cause high heat, especially when conductors/components are reaching the upper limits of their capacity. The 320w supply "developed the problem over time" probably after you added a bunch of goodies, right?

12. larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly What's a Dremel?

The heatsinks are so big that you could not fit a second fan in the case if you wanted. The heatsinks are silver which is less efficient compared to the black anodised variety used in the other two PSUs. This may have an impact on heat dispersion since non reflective surfaces, such as matt black, are better heat absorbers than reflective ones.

I've read that color matters only when there's no air flow, and heatsinks cooled by convection work equally well, regardless of color.

Tags: Add Tags