1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Quiet water cooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fizzl, 8 Feb 2010.

1. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

First a bit of background for those who are interested... I'm about to start a project that will take this rather nice Lian Li rack mountable desktop case http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Lian-Li-PC-C32B-Aluminium-Black-HTPC-Chassis-No-Psu and attach it to a wooden Ikea brand rack (Also know as table http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack ) hopefully with rails if I can work out a way to do it.

Previous machines of mine have generally been noisy Frankenstein monsters water cooled and over clocked. My current processor is rather old now, a Core 2 Quad Extreme something something 2.66GHz that has been up to 3.8 GHz a few times (Never got to 4GHz and stable :( ) and had a variety of Swiftech equipment attached to it and has been lapped.

So I guess my goals are quiet, fast and will fit nicely inside the box I'm going to get some sort of i7 (and overclock it as much as I can), an SSD (probably the OCZ 120gb) and a quite PSU (probably something from Antec) but I'm not sure about current water cooling, so onto the questions!

* Does anyone know of a quiet but good water cooling system, I've seen good reviews for the Corsair Hydro H50 (questions of will it fit or not aside) does it produce much noise? How about build your own systems, any pumps out there that are really quiet?

* Is it still worth lapping a CPU like an i7?

* How will the graphics card fit into the suggestions? I'll be keeping my 4870 for the moment, it already has a cooler fitted to an ageing swiftech pump. Separate loop or link it to the CPU?

Budget: 'flexible' but I guess it shouldn't cost more than the PC. :p
    Main uses of intended build: Games, General use, LANing, Quiet
    Parts required: Water Cooling loop
    Previous build information (list details of parts): i7, SSD, Quiet PSU, radeon 4870 (already has a water block but can be changed)
    Will you be overclocking: yes

Thanks

Fizz

Last edited: 8 Feb 2010