1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Quite possibly the stupidest comment ever about PC gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 21 Sep 2010.

1. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

thread resurrected but this statement is true

a mate recently asked for advise on a new PC cant remember now but think he said £500

best GPU i could find on a pre built was a 5450

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Look at custom build sites rather than pre-built a friend of mine wanted one for the same price and I was able to get a 5770 Athlon X4 and 4 GB ram for under £500.

Unfortunately everything pc related seems to need to be done online now. The big superstores are rip off merchants must be making a huge profit for how cheap there pre-builts are to make.
    Even the small components stores are far more expensive than online and when it comes to games it's getting harder to find a bricks and mortar store that sells any range of pc games beyond WOW and the sims.

Reminds me of last time i was in PC World looking for a SATA cable. THere was some guy asking what Graphics card he could get to play most games today as he didn't have one. The shop assistant was trying to sell him a 6600GT which cost £120.

3. Cookiemonster101

Cookiemonster101 What's a Dremel?

Haha this guy cannot be for real. A real life troll perhaps?

I'll admit I have enjoyed some console FPS games (Goldeneye of course), but some shooters for the PC just blow games like Halo out of the water in my opinion. That being said, I can't really get into shooters unless I have a keyboard, mouse, and a good online community at my disposal. To each their own.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

You're looking at only one part of the market. Brick and mortal sales of PC games have indeed been dying, but digital distrobution and online retailers are becoming extremely popular ways of buying PC games.

Speaking from my own experience as an exreme end of the spectrum, the last PC game I bought in stores was the Diablo II battle chest because I lost my original disks, that and BF2142 are the only two games I've purchased in stores in the last five years. That's as opposed to 30+ games purchased on Steam (admittedly, a lot of those come from extreme sales and bundles), and roughly 5 via online retailers shipping retail copies. Add in a couple other random games like Minecraft which have their own download system and account system.

I'm a devout PC gamer, yet looking at only the section you are it looks like I hardly ever touch PC games.

5. October

October Mariachi Style

Absolute +1

I've only bought a handful of games in actual shops over the last few years, mostly old stuff from the bargain bin. And Assassins Creed II and SC Conviction cos they were cheaper than on Steam...

But everything else (and lets face it, there's been a lot) has come from either Steam (probably 60-70%), Play, Amazon or Game online.

PC game shops are dead, pc gaming is NOT.

6. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

I have a dream that one day, when the bargin bins are overflowing with tosh like Guitar-Hero-13, Medal-of-Honor-66 & Sims-999, when people stop paying for games they have already bought, that the world will realise that there is one place to get good / funny / exhilarating/ thought provoking games for a fair price. That place is the PC. We will pay the developers directly for their hard work. DRM will be a story parents tell their chilidren to scare them. And on that day, we will say Goodbye Activision. Goodbye EA. You are history.

October likes this.
  7. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Lol if only! I doubt that will ever happen though. Sadly, that kind of thing will continue to be bought in large quantities, along with evil DLC. It will continue to go strong and be popular, just like Lady Gaga and the X Factor.

8. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

Keep the faith brother. There may even be a day when nationally broadcast TV is history; When you choose (and pay) for everything you watch. And then trash TV will be commoditised to nothing more than You-Tube clips. So scoff at the disbelivers. You are the future :)

9. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Wow that would be :lol: :clap: :rock: :thumb: :D

10. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I think I could make a statement as rash and that un-thought provoking too if I had a yacht the size of my house and a mattress stuffed with money. I think these guys just like to say stuff about things cause they really dont know any better because they are not involved with any of it. It would be like me stating that only morons use stick shift cars because my car is an automatic and superior to your car and that your car is dumb... :rolleyes: Troll indeed :duh:

11. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I don't think Gaming is dead, I think it's just stalled.

Don't get me wrong, millions of people are currently on their PC's pwnin' nubs, but every game is the same nowadays, just with better graphics.

Hence, I'm slowly getting bored of gaming :(

12. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

This now beats Sony's "Blu Ray Games" PS3 marketing, as if the game will be any longer because it's on their shiny new disc...the man's an idiot, no wonder there are less publishers bothering with the Games For Windows hoopla.

13. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

I agree with this. Consoles are becoming more and more PC like. I guess we can look at it as the PC is winning unfortuanately part of the winning has lead to Mattmc91s comment...

it's stalled becuase devs are catering to the consoles and the brain dead (the people who buy soley on hype and advertisements aka sheep) gamers who play them.....the current consoles are getting old especially the 360. The PC is rising again in popularity. I follow gaming new religiously and over the past two years the PC has definately been gaining ground. It's just a matter of time before some devs (most likely indie) start to see this market and deliver us some new experiences based on todays PC hardware. Heck, we are already seeing it if your willing to look towards the indie devs. They are creating fun games they just need to get enough funding to bring the graphics up to speed.

two quick off the top of my head examples

S.T.A.L.K.E.R series
    Mount and Blade
    Drakensang
    Kings Bounty
    Solar Empire
    ok that was more than two :lol:

So support those indie devs, I do!

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Isn't Stalker 2 going to be on console as well as PC?

There have been many PC only titles going to consoles over the last few years, arguably far bigger titles than the ones you've mentioned.

I wouldn't agree that PC gaming is on the rise to be honest.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's a bit inconclusive, though. All that says is the Stalker franchise will be open to more people. It might still draw in new PC gamers just the same as being a PC only release.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

PC gaming might well be on the rise (we've no numbers, so who knows) but I would seriously doubt it's the FPS camp leading the parade. FPS on PCs is quite an elitist and exclusivist franchise, and very difficult to get into. I know a lot of people who mainly play adventure/action/3rd person/puzzle/RPG games on PC. I gather it's predominantly young males who play FPS seriously.

As a straightforward case study, my mother plays portal, my sister plays Oblivion, my cousin (male) plays TF2 and I know a number of people (roughly equal gender distribution) who play WoW and the like.

Perhaps it'd be more accurate to say that gaming generally is on the rise, driven largely by the casual and online segments, and both PC and console platforms are benefiting from it.

17. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

After watching maddox's Best show in the universe part 2, i think we'll get the ***** youtube comedians on the box *shudders at the though*.

18. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Well without figures to back anything up it's all a bit inconclusive. I mentioned Stalker 2 going to console as kornedbeefy said to support these devs as they were PC only, or that was my reading, otherwise why not support all the other dev's as they're cross platform.

The worrying thing for me is the number of once PC only titles that are now available, or heading, to the consoles. Titles such as Half Life 2, Call of Duty (hell they even skipped the PC at one point), Crysis 2, Portal etc. Look what happened to Alan Wake.

To say PC gaming is on the rise (and I really hope it is) whilst losing platform exclusive titles left, right and centre is hard for me to swallow. Looking at forums like these all I ever read is how PC games are being dumbed down by cross platform releases. Although personally I do still enjoy a lot of cross platform releases on the PC, or whatever other system I play it on, many PC only gamers don't.

Also PC only exclusives are nowhere near as prominent as they used to be; thank god for Blizzard at the moment.

I really do want the PC to be at the gaming platform of choice but it doesn't always get the attention is deserves.

I believe Steam is one of the biggest allies of PC gaming at the moment, and thank goodness for it. Shelf space in gaming shops is laughably small these days; whether or not this is partly down to the success of Steam and other digital distribution sources I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010