1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R3c31v3r (Home theater PC) updated w/ pics Jan. 10th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by essjaytee, 16 Dec 2002.

1. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

Project Home Theater PC

I have been wanting to build a home theater PC for a while but never had the resources or time to get started. I acquired a micro atx mobo with cyrix C3 600 proc, and powersupply and just had to build a box to put them in.

I wanted to build something custom, but that promised to be a super long and complicated project which would be quite an undertaking for me, so I wanted something that I could customize to be a PC.

So, I went down to the local TV/VCR repair place to see if they had any dead receivers I could pick up for free (Thanks for the tip eddie_dane.) They had a brand new looking Pioneer 5.1 receiver (nice one too, like 5 optical inputs) that was dead for some reason. It didn't have a cover (more on that later) and it weighed a ton but I could have it for free.

After acquiring the receiver I had to remove of its previous occupants. It's a new receiver so it wasn't dusty in the least, I don't have any pics of the original because I got started on it before I had the camera.

Take some implements of mass destruction (Cheap drill doing an impression of an impact wrench)

[​IMG]

Remove all of the internals

[​IMG]

And you get a nice clean case that appears to have plenty of room inside for my stuff

[​IMG]

As you can see this was a full featured home theater receiver with plenty of inputs. I'm going to be building the cover from acrylic, so the backplane here is also going to be acrylic. (more later)

Here's a good picture from the front (well, I say good, it didn't come out too great I'll take better pics next time)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jan 2003
  2. essjaytee

Okay, on to real work.

The base of the case is contoured to match up with the original equipment, which is now long gone. It's hard to get the mobo standoffs to come close to matching up with the raised sections so I'm going to build a motherboard tray from acrylic to solve this problem.

[​IMG]

You can see that it's actually two pieces, those are scrap from when I put a big crack in it on a practice piece. It may or may not stay that way, depends on how "Linear" I get on it :) I'll probably replace it with a good piece when I have absolutely finalized the design.

You can probably see that the standoffs extend through the plexi, causing it to be higher and uneven. When I get my dremel I'll simply grind off those ends flush.

Pioneer were kind enough to use only one size of screw to attach stuff to the case. Great for me as I now have a cup full of fasteners which are already the right thread for the case. I simply located a couple of holes by the mobo, drilled holes in the acrylic and fastened it to the case.

Okay, now for the drives. I grabbed a drive cage from a trashed machine and removed the springy fastening mechanism to give me a simple 'U' shaped HD bracket. turn it upside down, locate an already threaded hole in the case, attach with friendly neighborhood Pioneer screw.

[​IMG]

Here you can also see the simple layout.

No, that's the way the power supply really goes :) It's not upside down. It's from a funky matx case (infact it now doesn't have it case at all, more pics on that in my next update)

Here it is with the hard drive (20 gig for mp3 storage) and a floppy drive. I used the floppy for about .00003 seconds, so it's now removed. No need for it, I'm a minimalist at heart.

[​IMG]

3. essjaytee

Okay, how are we going to turn this on? Well, with the original power button of course. It uses simple momentary microswitches. I reused the original circuit board from that section, I saw no need to reinvent the wheel. So, a little work with the soldering iron and it's ready to go.

[​IMG]

Yes, that is a blue LED there :) It hooks right up to the headers on the mobo, worked fine first time.

Okay, so, I put everything together, fired it up and installed win2k. It didn't like win2k (it's a cheapo mobo) so I formatted and installed a stripped down 98SE install. The sound card is an Aureal Vortex2 - nothing special, but it has coaxial digital out. Thank you very much :)

Here's where we are right now:

[​IMG]

Did you just say "It looks like there's enough room to fit a slot-load DVD player in there" I think you did. And yes, there is :)

I have a couple of parts on the way which I will document when I receive them. I'm playing in the CPL this week so it may be after Christmas before I get another set of pics here.

4. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Looks like a very nice project, can't wait to see it finished :rock:

5. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

would I be able to use one of these things (big ass reciever cases for free $$) And a standard sized mobo If I took the PSU out of its case? And if I used flexible risers to get the card mounted perpendicular to the mobo?

I want to build a system with a GF FX when it comes out and I dont believe they are making KT400 mATX boards. Unless someone could prove me wrong... (wink wink, send me a link :lol:) If not ill prolly just build it all in a black aluminum case, or a clear case. But doing this kinda thing with a clear top and the bare PSU showing would look pretty sweet

6. linear

linear Minimodder

:hehe:

Looks absolutely great, I had sort of been formulating a similar scheme myself.

I see the volume knob is long gone, was there a motorized pot on it? If so, are you gonna do anything with the motorized pot? If not, would you be willing to send it my way?

7. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Just FYI ess, that looming shadow circling above is Linear who picked up the scent of a box of parts all the way from Kansas

8. essjaytee

Linear, the pot you are referring to is still soldered to the main pcb that includes the old lcd and other such stuff. I'll take a look at it this evening when I get home and see if it'd be practical for me to simply unsolder it. I'll let you know.

That knob was removed prior to me obtaining it. That area is probably going to be changed substantially on the face of the receiver :)

9. linear

linear Minimodder

You'd think that with my shop being a giant stockpile of parts I'd have trouble sniffing them out from afar, but no.

10. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

can we get a nice well illuminated shot of the front?

11. essjaytee

I certainly will do. This was my first attempt with the camera, so as soon as I get another chance with the digicam I'll grab some better quality pics.

12. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

Hey! Thats my receiver. Ive got a Pioneer just like it. Nice start though to an interesting project. I like the idea of the computer in the receiver and not in the VCR. Makes more sense logically to me.

13. linear

linear Minimodder

Re: Project R3c31v3r (Home theater PC)

I missed it the first time. You're using a balisong for modding?!?

14. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: Project R3c31v3r (Home theater PC)

Just to learn a new word...
    Exactly what item in the picture is a "balisong"??

Essjaytee, the receiver l00ks g00d, but I'd rather use a VCR...
    That receiver is HUGE:jawdrop:

15. essjaytee

He's referring to the "Butterfly" knife in there :)

I used it as a really long thin pry bar for some of the insides that didn't want to simply unscrew :)

I deliberately went with something big so I could have PCI cards installed without having to buy a 1u/2u rackmount riser - I am on a budget here :) Plus I liked the looks of it, it's going to sit next to my home theater receiver in my entertainment center, so I wanted something that would be close to the same size.

Iamgoodyy - Is it possible that this actually is your receiver? :D I picked it up at the tv/vcr repair place at 720 and Preston in Frisco.

16. eddie_dane

He's talking about the knife. I always called it a butterfly knife. I was joking with essjaytee earlier that it looks like he mods as if a street fight might break out at any moment... :hehe: :rock:

BTW: no matter who I showed up with, when the fight breaks out, I'm always on the side of the guy holding the knife...

[edit] DOH, beat me too it. :rolleyes:

17. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

No mine is still in my living room. :worried: I think. Which repair shop is that at 720 and Preston? I normally stay on the south side of Rolater and Hillcrest. I live over by the new highschool and middle school.

18. eddie_dane

Let's just analyze essjaytee's mod tool selections shall we... I did a little diagram to help the people who might not be familiar with all these pieces of equipment...

[​IMG]

:hehe: :hehe: :rock:

19. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

so you can actually fit everything in there with the cards mounted how they are by default? and no use of riser cards? SWEET!

would I be able to fit something that measures 220mm x 305mm ?

Ive got an idea for fitting a full sized ATX computer into one of these :D, now ive just gotta go and bug the local shops.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2002
  20. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

good work ess, are you gonna cut a slot in the face of the receiver for dvd loading?

ROFLMAO eddie :lol: