1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News R4 cartridges banned in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2010.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

"The mere fact that bananas, vasoline and ducktape can be used for a non-infringing purpose is not a defence"

;)

2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

The issue is that the R4's raison d'être is circumventing the copyright restrictions on the DS, which is apparently illegal. Sure, once you've used it there are legitimate things you could do with your cart console, but that doesn't change the fact that the only thing it does is avoid the console's copyright stuff. In that sense, I don't think there is a 'non-infringing' use of the R4 because the actual operation - the circumvention - is the operation of the cartridge. The fact that once you've got it you don't necessarily download games doesn't change the fact that the circumvention is illegal.

The best analogy I can think of is things like car slimjims and lockpicks - like the R4 (and every other custom cart ever) their sole purpose is for defeating security. You might be doing that for a legitimate reason - as a hobby, say, or because you've locked your keys in your car - but that doesn't change the fact that the tool's sole purpose is to circumvent security, which in cars is called taking without owner's consent, in homes is called burglary, and in consoles is called copyright infringement, apparently. (A notable distinction is that locks are not sold as 'not to be picked' in the same way that the DS is sold 'not to be cracked' - hence, lockpicks are controlled but not illegal, but the R4 is illegal.) When Denis_iii points out that everything has the potential for illegality, he's right, but that's not what the intended use of the item is. You could beat someone to death with a hammer, but that doesn't change the fact that the hammer's purpose - hitting nails - is legal. You could use an R4 to run homebrew, but that doesn't change the fact that the R4's purpose - circumvention - is illegal.

For the record, I cracked the hell out of my PSP (never downloaded a game, though, I couldn't find any I wanted to play that much) and I personally think the consumer should be allowed to crack anything he owns, as long as he doesn't whine when it breaks or try and make warranty claims. Nintendo should make the DS (or, more likely, the 3DS) itself harder to hack, or brick itself if hacked, if they want to discourage this kind of thing. That would let buyers know that they're buying something that either can't be modified, or is going to be very risky to do so - and they could make their own decisions about whether to live with the restrictions or buy something else. I think the PS3 is a good example - it's not suffered from the kind of exploits Xboxes suffer from, and that's because it's a much more daunting task. Maybe some people thought about having to pay for their games and then bought an Xbox instead; that's their choice and mostly Microsoft's loss, not Sony's...

When it's this easy to crack the consoles - I mean, neither my PSP nor the DS-series nor the GBA needed anything more than a plug-in card, or not even that - really the manufacturer should start looking at some new staff.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2010
  3. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

You forgot the BUT part, as in we like you, but get lost.

My R4 makes me really happy, Nowadays most I use is Colors and a PC controller....

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

R4, whether it was intended for good or evil, enables far too much evil and ease of playing DS roms. Therefore, good riddance.

5. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

It says in the first line that similar devices are banned now too.

I loved my CycloDS with 16GB microSD when I had a DS. Shame we won't be able to buy the version for the 3DS when it comes out. They'll probably still be available to buy from some dodgy websites tho!

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Buy your game, people. It will only make them even more enjoyable.

I remember the Dreamcast days. I had dozens and dozens of pirated games and I couldn't care less about any of them. My attention span for each of them was about 10minutes because I knew I still had so many other games to try.

I now buy all my games. The few cracked games that are on my PC are either very old or were played once in LAN.

EDIT: Yes. I did contribute to the death of the Dreamcast. Shame on me ...

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the dirty rotten pirates only have themselves to blame

8. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

I dunno, there's always that pesky Guybrush Threepwood, if you're really stuck for recrimination targets...

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Oh good. A kneejerk reaction which just serves to hurt developers that can't afford Nintendo's licensing, and users who want to run their own code / play music / watch videos on Nintendo's DS devices. This isn't a step towards stopping piracy, it's a leap towards slashing every DS owner's freedom, and I, for one, am appalled.

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

only reason i have seen an DS or DSI (that device was going to stop R4 Failed to happen) is so the R4 type of card could be used, i found it rare that any one owned any games (more so the DS then the DSI but its new thought)

11. leveller

I'm a DS owner. I don't need an R4 to express my freedom. I'm free to play whatever game I legally purchase, just like EVERY other DS owner.

I am appalled at your appalled'ness.

12. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Nice one, you just libelled some one by implying that he pirates. :> Expect a letter through your door.
    Typical Company trend these days to blame piracy for declining game sales. Sucks for Dev's who were out to share great games and programs on these devices, and ultimately it's the consumer that loses out. Leveller, I assume you have never tried Colors or any of the great rpg games you can get from the Homebrew crowd (not to mention MSN / IRC clients)?
    Don't knock till you have tried it.

13. leveller

Who are the devs going to blame? The big blue chip for stamping out a cartridge that enables the usage of the DS's entire catalogue of games, illegally? Or the millions of people with R4's that are illegally accessing the entire catalogue of DS games?

If it is the former, then their sobbing is mis-directed. I would much prefer to see zero piracy. And to be fair, there are plenty of other platforms where indie devs are very successful, we don't need a world full of bravehearts crying 'unfair' because a platform that was never open in the first place goes one step further to locking itself down, as it was always intended to be.

Cry some more. :waah:

Added: thing is though, the R4's are already out there in peoples homes, plugged into their DS's, so the big drama is ... ? Incidentally if we are talking about devs, let's not forget the other side of the coin, which is all the devs whose software is being illegally pirated, downloaded and played.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2010
  14. Glix

You seem to forget, those dev's have already been paid for their work (so they don't blame anyone, they just update their CV with another title, it's the publishers who :waah:). No one in the right mind would work on pay by royalty contract, they get their fixed sum and are sent on their way when the game is released. If a game fails to sell well, digging up excuses isn't the way to make the next game sell.

I've payed for all the games I play on my DS. So owning my own copy of that game is some how made out to be illegal because I don't need to carry my carts around with me? :eyebrow:

Zero piracy? :hehe:
    That will happen when the system of money is abolished as it has been around in every system.

I also think that people are entitled to their own opinion so I don't see the need to jump on the moral high horse just to bash others. There is a lot wrong in this world yet it's things like this that see the light of day. :jawdrop:

I was surprised to see this though: http://www.dailytech.com/Library+of...nes+Video+Montages+are+Legal/article19157.htm

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Don't see what the fuss is about. Anyone who wants it (R4) badly enough will still find a way. And anyone who doesn't want it badly enough won't miss it.

16. leveller

According to you, devs don't care about piracy because they've been paid already ... ok! :thumb:

17. Glix

I like how you try to imply your a dev :> :brrr: does any one who isn't self employed work when they aren't getting paid (and I don't mean working till they finish set work, but actually adding in a personal project to the job)?

Sorry we are going way off topic.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2010
  18. leveller

I've implied no such thing. I merely repeated what you said as a way of emphasising it. Because it rocked :rock:

19. Glix

http://www.destructoid.com/dev-piracy-a-natural-reaction-to-high-videogame-prices-172919.phtml

Although I did find an article saying that iphone dev's are against piracy, but I'll be selective and not link it :>

Also over at destructoid you can see the same debate we are having raging over there, but as you can see, it's pointless so I'll try not add any more on this subject. I'll still be interested in your reply though. :D

20. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

damn, that means if i rebuy a DS i can't use it to watch batman TAS on the bus :(

Tags: Add Tags