1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics R600 (X2900XTX) Final Specs Released!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mother-Goose, 19 Feb 2007.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

MMmmmmmmm, 1GB of pure sex.

Interesting that they haven't gone the nVidia route though and put on an extra 128MB.

3. Mother-Goose

Probably an e-penis thing lol, sounds awesome though, BUT, I'm not entirely sure what a vapour chamber cooler is, still baffled after some research.

4. DougEdey

Basically it's an evaporation chamber ontop of the core (so it's like a blob) the liquid inside gets evaporated and the goes round the tubes, cools back to a liquid.

K

5. Mother-Goose

Hmmmm pretty useful then, It will be interesting to see what the difference in price between the retail and oem versions and which ones give better cooling performance.

Now of course there is the problem of there not being any decent motherboards out that will support them in crossfire (not that i'd need that yet, but in the future I would like it). Am I right in thinking the striker is not CF compatible because it used the nVidia chipset?

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

So basicly it's a heatpipe. Gotta love newspeak words for stuff we're already familiar with :D

Is it just me that thinking theres going to be a big difference between the XT and the XTX? Not only does the XT have half the ram(not neccesarily an issue) but it's GDDR3 instead of GDDR4(that strikes me as an odd and worrying decision really). Still, looking forward to these things being released, it'll be excellent to see some competition and increased choice.

7. Mother-Goose

my understanding of heat pipes (especially those on graphics cards) are that they use the liquid to help convect the heat away from the source, the thermal properties of the liquid disperse the heat over the fins more effectively, yes they evaportate inside but they do in essence act as a radiator in a WC setup, where as this vapour chamber works directly on top of the core, it is just one big chamber then the recondensed liquid goes around the pipes to cool and then come back to the chamber.

8. DougEdey

Heatpipes use a Wick to transfer heat normally so they can be mounted either way. The problem with Evaporation chambers is that if you mount it horizontally it won't be as effective. But with Tower cases and Cards it should be OK.

To demonstrate vapour cooling, put some aftershave on, or some high alcohol content soap.

The alcoholic content of those liquids cause it to evaporate rapidly cooling your skin.

9. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

The big question is how much????

10. Mother-Goose

more than a stock 8800gtx i assume but hopefully not as much as the KO superclocked varients

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

My guess would be on the £400/£300 mark at the time of release. Both prices are higher than the Nvidia GTX/GTS respectively, which is fine at launch.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd say at least that spec, probably at least £450 at launch, then it might settle down to 8800GTX-level after a couple of months.

Depends on the performance though, if it craps on the 8800GTX, it'll certainly be more expensive.

13. Mother-Goose

I'll get one either way I guess, although I'd be silly not to see what mobo's get released and of course there are the rumours that nVidia have the G90 ready and waiting to piss on the R600's fire.

14. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I would guess that's rather unlikely, Mother-Gooser. nVidia has always been a November-launch video card, and that goes back to the 6-series. Developing a whole new core/card in less than 6 months when they usually take a year strikes me as being a bit improbable.

I would, however, be on the lookout for a new Quad-SLI implementation, rather like the 7950 GX2. They pulled that out of their hat to deal with the X1900, albeit rather unsucessfully.

I'm still waiting for K8L before I decide on a motherboard. If K8L murders Conroe (which would be nice), I'll go AM2/3. Otherwise, I'll go with an Intel-chipset board.

15. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

I was thinking the same thing, then I saw an article about DDR3 ram and now I'm all confused as to when I should build a new rig :confused:

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just build it. If you wait for everything you'll never actually buy one.

17. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I have to say, that thing sounds like a beast! Vapor Chamber stock cooling :jawdrop: Not to mention ridiculous specs!
    Hopefully this doesn't mean its time to go get a second job to be able to afford one, but odds are it will cost an arm and a leg.

18. Mother-Goose

I'm budgeting for about £450 for it myself. I think im going to drop it in a striker extreme on its own for the time being. then when I actually need to have one in CF I'll sell the striker and get a CF mobo, shouldn't loose out too much on it really.

19. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Refuse to pay more than £400 - are you listening ATI!!!

20. Mother-Goose

lol give it a month or two and it will probably come down, but i want it on release damnit lol

Tags: