1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware R680: AMD ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Jan 2008.

1. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

what? aluminum does not dissipate heat better than copper. does it?

2. legoman666

2 3870's in crossfire.

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

maybe... but only if the two 8800 gt's on a single card dont end up as a failure.. which is still unknown. and if they would have something ready for an immediate counter they would have announced it by now to prevent 3870x2 sales from happening.

4. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

whilst it isnt outstanding...its a nice feeling to see AMD competing at the top again...so they arent in bed with all the developers like nvidia is, but then thats always been the case, maybe something from the orange box in the review (as they say its best experienced on ATI) would show what a game supported by ATI might do against nvidia's solutions. Just a thought

peace

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

6. legoman666

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Aluminium gets rid of heat quicker than copper (i.e. dissipate, radiate, etc), while copper holds onto heat much longer (i.e. better conductor, higher specific heat capacity)

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

supposed to read 5th february.

just checked ek weshop, there it says 31.01.2008, so 5th feb makes sense. there will apparantly be three versions, copper with acetal top, copper with acrylic top and nickel plated copper with acrylic top.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2008
  9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I think its supposed to be the 5th of Feb tbh.

10. legoman666

[QUOTE='91]I think its supposed to be the 5th of Feb tbh.[/QUOTE]

"05/02/08" oh lol, silly brits and their different way of writing dates. I'm used to MM/DD/YY instead of DD/MM/YY

11. Design_Master

Design_Master Presenting: LUMINA

I CAN’T understand how does ATI want to come back to the top without driver improvements?? They should plan it better before launching their products… Obviously, a Ferrari will not win a race while is driven by a beginner. ;)

Good Luck to ATI/AMD! :thumb:

12. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha New Member

Silly? Seems far more logical to me as it starts with the smallest value (day), then the next (month) and so on...(year). Still, I guess if there isn't a "u" to remove anywhere, just shuffle it up a bit.

But then again I'm a silly Brit ;)

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

At risk of going completely off topic, I'm totally with you on this one (although for total consistency, why not have the whole time/date field ordered most significant first - e.g. 2008/Jan/29/22:05:00? Still, middle significant, then least significant, then most significant makes no sense at all!). Have you or anyone else noticed the insidious creep of the American date format into UK publications - you can't pick up a copy of Metro without being assaulted by references to "January 29" or whatever. I have seriously thought about writing a short HTML parser to de-Americanify my browsing - revert all dates to proper format, correct the crazy Colonial spelling etc., and remove every last reference to "off of" ("off" will be fine), "gotten" (it's "got"), "in back of" ("behind"), "could care less" ("couldn't care less") and similar. That would be awesome.

14. willyolio

willyolio New Member

the CoD 4 benchmark seems a bit odd. Tech Report and Anandtech both found the 3870 x2 beating the GTX and Ultra by a fairly large margin, on all resolutions.

15. LVMike

LVMike New Member

the crysis graphs showing 3870x2 512mb crossfire is a little confusing. As the other graphs read 3870 512mb crossfire. It looks like you had 2 3870x2's with 512 mb that you somehow got into cf. Rather than 2 single gpu 3870s. You might want to change those graph labels.

16. Arkanrais

Arkanrais New Member

any overclocking results? I may have missed something, been up for 30 hours so my brain isn't functioning too well without caffeine

17. trig

trig god's little mistake

maybe im too tired, but i just dont know how i feel about this yet. you can get a bfg gts 512 for $299 plus a $30 MIR, and then there's this for $449. still seems like despite it's performance(which i am fairly psyched about), the bang for the buck is not there. but of course, i never really thought it was there with the gtx or ultra either.

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Last edited: 30 Jan 2008
  19. Tim S

Tim S OG

Anandtech benchmarked a cutscene... not sure about Tech Report though. Our tests were done manually inside the game.

Oh and while I'm at it... not sure why they're running FLYBYS?!

Jeez, I can't remember the last time I ran a flyby demo... UT2003? Anything I've run here that isn't manual has at least been verified as representative of real gameplay. If it's not, I manually benchmarked it (take World in Conflict's built in demo for example).

20. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I'd love to support AMD by buying this card, but unfortunately the driver suite/interface puts me off.. The way Nvidia has the "classic" control panel is still the best imho.

Tags: Add Tags