1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware R680: AMD ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Jan 2008.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

previously with both sli and crossfire multimonitor was a no go (except if you added a card that was not part of the sli / xfire config).
    but, ati finally decided to allow multi monitor with crossfire, nvidia will surely follow shortly with allowing multimonitor + sli.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's seen as two GPUs in GPU-monitoring software like GPU-Z for example, but the driver sees it as one card - there is no need to enable CrossFire, but in games that have a multi-GPU optimisation switch, you need to enable it (I'm thinking Call of Duty series here). You can also power two monitors without having to go into display properties/driver CP to enable the second display when you're not in 3D.

You're right though, at least in terms of transparency, it is a massive step forwards over the 7950 GX2. It's still inherently limited in the same way that the 7950 GX2 was though (driver support - a MASSIVE problem with the 7950 GX2/Vista... but I don't need to go back to that one again).

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

That is indeed good news. :thumb: to you & :clap: to ATI.

My concern is that my setup (as seen in my avatar) requires span or stretch mode. After buying two 8800 GT cards I found out that span mode only works if the monitors are on the same GPU.:wallbash: I've been contemplating all kinds of crazy setups to make this work better but, if this card can do it, ATI may have the best & simplest answer for me.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

5. dmak

dmak What's a Dremel?

one thing I have been wondering, is there a difference between vista 32bit and 64 bit with this card, or gaming in general? The one reviewer that is giving a generally "not good" for this card is HardOCP, but they are using vista 64, and I was wondering if this makes a difference

also I have noticed a few people have been experiencing one of the cores not working properly
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=253628

Just curious what people think about that problem and vista 64

Last edited: 25 Feb 2008
Tags: Add Tags