1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics R9600se or GF4TI 4200?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deep-Blue, 31 Mar 2005.

1. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

Okay guys, got a question for you.

I have an ATi Radeon 9600se which does the job nicely for the games i play (cs:s, bf1942 etc) but has CRAP support under linux. Ive been dualbooting Fedora Core 3 and Win2k for a while now, and have been trying to experiment with Linux Gaming (my old FX5200 flew under UT2k3 in linux) but am stuck with this ATi.

I recently recovered a Gainward GeForce 4 Ti 4200 (AGP8x, 128mb) and am wondering if this is going to be a better card. I know linux support is far better, and that it lacks DX9 support, but as im playing thinks like QuakeIII, UT2K3 and BF1942, i would of thought speed would be just as good.

So my question is, for the sort of things im going to be doing, which is better. I know the GeForce is better for linux, but will i lose out on FPS?

Jst for background, im running an Asus A7N8X DLX (nForce 2 Ultra400) with 1gb of Dual Chan PC3200 DDR, on an AMD Athlon XP2600.

Cheers guys,

Deep Blue

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i got pretty much near similar spec's as yer...if u can live withou the dx9 support (as most people dont notice it) then go with the 4200 as it gives u more compatibility under linux....i got a 9500non-pro an ti4200 an i love both cards...ti4200 still has plenty of power!

3. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

Cool, and any ideas as to how far i could clock it? I've heard of plenty of OC apps for the nVidia cards, but have only ever OCed my cpu/memory and would like to dabble. From what i hear the Ti4200 can move a fair bit higher clocked?

DB

4. nookie

nookie What's a Dremel?

can you tell us which apps?...For overclocking nVidia cards i use a special registry key which when added to the registry opens a hidden menu in the right_click_on_desktop->properties->settings->advanced->GeForce blaaaa...i have been OCing an old GF MX 440 (250/300MHz) at 400/400 MHz with standart cooling. I bet you won't do wors with that Ti :rolleyes:

5. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

rivatuner is one that comes to mind first, im sure theyll be more coming up on here though soon.

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Rivatuner or the coolbits hack are probably the easiest to use tbh :)
    Rivatuner is the better of the 2 imo

7. MNC Fear

MNC Fear Banned

also Nvidia seem that little bit better for Linux users atm

Tags: