1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Racing Simulator?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GoTaLL, 21 Apr 2007.

1. GoTaLL

GoTaLL New Member

Hi.

Been a while since i did a worklogg.

This is something that wont be doen today but i can show you a small preview of what should be made.

finnishing up the Supreme Commander mod as we speak but this is something i need to show too.

I was asked if i could make a racing simulator.

The questions started popping up and i really have to ask .. what would you use? how would it look, if money wasnt endless but still not empty pocketed.

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

Racing seat, surround projector screen, surround sound.

If you have enough space you might as well use a real car for the dashboard, steering wheel etc.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The right place for this would be in the modding-section, not in project logs. It can then be moved here if you start the actual progress.

The first thing that pops in to my mind is a welded square tube frame. A proper mounting point for a racing seat (don't forget the adjustments) and as large monitor as possible. I don't see projectors being too practical in such use. First of all it would require more room in both lenght and width wise, and secondly the lamps are freaking expensive.

I didn't quite understand if you asked about the whole thing or just framework..

4. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Member

I would make a "sit-in" simulator perhaps with some dualmonitors, some nice pedals and steering wheel. Don't know alot about the quality of those, but one of those simulator sit in boxes would be awesome.

5. dutchcedar

dutchcedar New Member

I would find out more about what Dale Earnhardt Jr. uses. Apparently, he's an avid 'puter guy and has a serious penchant for racing simulations... has a cutting edge set-up and uses it exhaustively. That would be a good place to start, anyways.

6. GoTaLL

GoTaLL New Member

Ok .. just had to ask .. :) .. i allready have the thing i think will be perfect..
    PNY asked me to make this Racing simulator and this is what i will be using.

well it wont be a Pc to be used on a desktop at home ;) .

1pcs of Formel Opel Lotus.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Apr 2007
  7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

Oh man, I nearly had to go change my pants when I saw that car. This is going to be the greatest mod EVER!

My suggestions are to cut some of the sides out to make the cockpit hole larger, that way when you are driving you can move your elbows more, because I assume more than F1 2006 will be played on this thing, and doing a 24 hour Le Mans won't be comfy if your cramped in too tightly.

Can't wait man. I always wanted to do one of these except just a racing chair on a frame, but I don't have room to store it so my dream has gone uncomplete. Be sure to take lots of pictures.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

meh... OK so maybe you will have room for the projector&screen.

9. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Not exactly the most flattering car ever, but it'll do nonetheless. :D Personally, I've always thought the perfect racing simulator would simply be a racing seat, maybe a bit of a roll-cage to make it realistic and then a steering wheel, projector, etc... Having a specific car/body would make it only realistic for a game featuring that kind of car, imo.

That's just me.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

When i saw the words 'racing' and 'simulator' and then 'GoTaLL' i instantly guessed there really would be a racing car involved.

I'll subsribe to this thread before I see any work, becuase i can allready tell where this is going.

11. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Gut a PC steering wheel, rig up to the real wheel. Same deal with the pedals, so the resistance is right.

Of course, if it's at all possible, rig it up so the real gauges work, and remove the on-screen ones. That would just rock.

Aside from that, put the subwoofer back behind the driver, so you can hear the engine right. Leave the car on the spring suspension, and mount the sub so the mass moves up and down, so it shakes the entire car.

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

And add a cupholder. I'm sure that car doesn't include one.

13. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Member

yup this should be great a moving simulator is alot better though but also not doable by most people been playing on one at uni latly and they rock (when they work)

14. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff New Member

shoulded this be in modding?

great idea btw if you have the space.

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow can't wait to see want you do with this :hip:

16. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Member

if you watch F1, especially during practice, you will see drivers in cars while they are in the garage (not just the pits) and there will be a screen that they look at. this screen is in a fiberglass enclosure that snugly fits over the nose panel. il continue to try to find a pic of this tomorrow as i am about to pass out (i have class in 4 hours :duh: )

17. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Wow, this is going to be insane.

I'll second what itsjustacompaq said, but possibly use 3 monitors - one wide screen and two standard ones on either side, to give a sort of peripheral view.

18. tm36usa

tm36usa New Member