1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Radar Detectors

Discussion in 'General' started by [GiB] Spawny, 3 Oct 2003.

1. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Right I've been done for speeding so it's time to get smart.

I've seen some on Ebay, but which ones are the best?

Thanks as always :D

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Try and get one which does the 5 bands and with GPS for static locations.

However, yo may need to check the mapping issue with guernsey wether or not it is part of the map covered with the GPS system. If it is not, then a 5 band should be ok.

There are some which jam the signal, but I'm not sure as to the legality of these ones.

3. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

dont speed and you wont need one :D

4. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I've got a Whistler 5-band with VG blocking myself and it's saved me many times

5. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

A dickie bird told me that the Police are changing to a light beam. So these won't be any use?

6. :: Phat ::

they'd still need to use laser, as a light beam will suffer inteferance from light sources....

I saw a copper today at the bottom of the hill @ a nearby bypass, the fool didn't realise the sun was reflecting nicely off the 2 blue strobes behind his grille!!! duuuh!

7. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy New Member

I've got the Passport 8500, that works quite well. I'm actually looking to sell it too, but you're across the pond. Mine picks up the X, K, KA, Laser and someother I forget. Goes off miles before I even see the coppers.

8. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm New Member

I use the Snooper S6-R Neo which has both GPS for detecting static cameras (gatsos, truvelos, SPECS - all of them) and a radar/laser detector unit mounted in my front grille. It has a built in modem for updating the camera database and you just plug it into a phone socket.

Police don't really use radar much these days, and the detector is very susceptible to false radar alerts, so I tend to switch off the radar detector facility. Laser alert works ok though, and can detect 'scatter' from 2 miles away (ie. when a rozz targets a car in front) However, if you're targetted directly you're as good as nicked as it takes no time to get a reading.

Laser diffusers or jammers are currently illegal (there has been a court case where a guy was done for using one) but there are ways round it. When the jammer bleeps and switches itself on, pull up to the correct speed and turn it off straight away, that way the copper will think he just got a duff reading - if he gets repeated duff readings he will suspect something is amiss, so be careful ...

[edit] Here's some piccys I found of mine :

Head unit (now fitted to ashtray) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GPS antenna on the dash

[​IMG]

Radar/Laser Detector (RLD) unit under the numberplate :

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Oct 2003
  9. :: Phat ::

I was acctually looking at that system in Halfords today,

what's your verdict on it, is it worth nearly 500 of my sterling coins?

10. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm New Member

The S6-R is great for static cameras - picks every one out, every time. Bear in mind there is a subscription charge for the downloads : I paid £100 for 2 years worth, but you can download at any time (I usually do it every 2 weeks). The display shows you which direction the camera is in, how many metres away it is and which road (A or B road or whatever) its situated on. It can be set to only detect cameras on your side of the road too. Very handy for me personally as I often drive in unfamiliar towns. Another handy feature is that it flashes up when accident blackspots are coming up eg. a bad bend where there's been a fatal accident.

The RLD on the other hand is not very good. The radar detector is very prone to false alerts from things such as automatic door sensors and traffic light sensors. In one respect this is no bad thing as it makes you over-cautious but it annoyed me so much I switched it off. The laser detector is not as prone to false alerts, but think about it : it has a 2-mile detection radius meaning the five-o could be anywhere ! Also as I said previously laser traps are so quick by the time you've detected it you've already been nicked, and your only hope is that it detects scatter from a car in front.

It would be worthwhile looking at other systems which just have GPS camera detection such as Road Angel or Geodesy as they are about £100 cheaper. Also you can pick up the S6-R for a lot cheaper than £500 - I've seen them somewhere for £350, but I certainly wouldn't pay any more than £400 for it.

11. :: Phat ::

oh god yeh, I'd never buy it from Halfords... I have a brain :D
    But tbh, I've never been caught speeding and my car doesn't like 60mph (that doesn't mean I'm a lunatic) it just means my car runs @ 70mph a lot easier. - H - was shocked at the lack of cameras etc in my area, which throws up questions of even needing one, but I want to start doing contract I.T work in unfamiliar places, so I think my pocket could take a small dint like that.

12. :: Phat ::

Ive heard good things about the origin BlueI system, and there's the new one out now, the Origin B2.

I shall look into this... you can pick one up for ~£350 on ebay.co.uk

13. -Rx-

-Rx- New Member

Road angles are supposed to be pretty good:

http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/

They do group buys too AFAIK, 8 peeps means they should come in at £300 a piece :)

Tags: