1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Radeon artifacts problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taliban_raider, 12 Nov 2003.

1. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Ok so I am running a windows xp system with a radeaon 7000ddr(no mokery please this is just for another month) It has never done this before and it is just recenntly doing it but I have no idea why. What it does is sometimes as soon as I log on sometimes as soon as I start a game or most of the time after 30mins or so of gamming, it goes all artifacted(sp) like screwed up blocks of colour and stuff. If i ignore it after a couple of mins it usuly goes back to normal bvut then in another min will usulay just mess up again. So what I am asking is does anybody know why or how to fix it?

2. LaughingJon

LaughingJon What's a Dremel?

could be memory overheating? Thats what it does on mine when the memory is too hot anyways :confused:

Check your intake fans etc make sure you are getting a good air flow if possible.. If in doubt just remove the side panel of your case and try it again.

Laters
    Jon

3. taliban_raider

Memory this is only a 7000 the memory isnt even heatsunk it is an old crap card but uyntil i buy a new one it is what I got. I recenty beefed up the cooling from a ***** little passive heatsink to a hsf and decent thermal pase and it is runnign alot cooler than it used to before it had these problems and the problems didnt start when I changed the coolig iether they came later.

4. LaughingJon

you changed drivers or anything recently?

Did you actually try it with the side off the case?

Could it be that the new Heatsink and fan you put on there has been knocked or sommat which has pulled it away from the vpu?

curious tho. :eyebrow:

5. taliban_raider

I trid taking th side off and putting a huge fan in there i mean not computer huge but an actule bederstool fan head that took up the whole side of the case it blew a crap load of air through there there was an almost 10 degree drop in cpu temp but the graphics card seemed to screw up as quick as it sometimes did didnt even wait for me to play a game just as soon as I logged in. I have taken out checked and rechecked the hsf and it seems to be making perfect contact. I have not installed any new drivers or anything but I did muck around wiht open gl setings but this was also before it started wrecking up and the two events seem to have no connection, plus why would changing open gl have an effect on just viewing the desktop? this has got me stumped!

6. LaughingJon

:confused:

hummmmmm... dont sound too good to me :eyebrow:

jon hopes someone else has some ideas sorry bud :worried:

Are you able to try the card in another computer? Or try a different card in your computer?

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

8. taliban_raider

Well I will download and give those driversa try when I can becausedownloaidng 15megs is a big thing for me on my dial-up connection.

Does anybody els have anyideas in the mean time?

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

10. taliban_raider

Well I ran the "hard core" test and it said no artifacts which is corret none appeared at the time of testing, and I am running the monitor just witing till ti does it agian.

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

try wiggling the monitor lead, at both ends. is it a detachable one? ie bnc or d-sub?

12. taliban_raider

Well the monitorlead is nto detachable and the monitor has been tested on another sytem just in case and it is not the monitor or its calbe as far as I can tell, besides it is 1 month old, the problems started when I first started using my new monitor iirc. I was running artifacts monitor andit has just said it detected artifacts and my screen screwed up and went all artifacted again.

13. Zeke_D

Zeke_D What's a Dremel?

Check your BIOS settings and go for dead dog slow settings. Disable fast writes and whatever other control you have in BIOS land. Work the AGP stuff first and move into system memory timings as well if you continue to have artifacts. I have a 7200 AIW that worked fine for about 2 years (after ATI produced half decent drivers)with optimal settings then mobo, pwr or video card changed, something changed, and I could only run stable without artifacts once I had set all my timings to dead dog slow.

I heard about an industry wide issue with leaky caps that dried out over time and thought about looking into that, but BIOS got me stable so I didn't care any more. Some industry spy stole the electrolytic formula from a cap maker, problem was the formula he stole was incomplete. Bunch of companies cranked out crappy caps and really screwed consumers.

Yeah.. anyway, try BIOS. Bet ya a 286 that it works, or a nickle.

14. taliban_raider

Cheers I tunred off fast memory timing and all this other crap and now i still get the odd artifact but never have a experineced even part of the screen tottaly degrade any more. Cheerz!!!! :D

Tags: