1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Radeon HD 7000-series rumoured for May production

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Apr 2011.

1. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Yes, because people act like AMD have driver issues, while saying "nVidia just works" which is not true. I didn't say AMD don't have driver issues, "AMD's driver don't work" myth is what I'm talking about, they're just as good, or bad as nVidia's. Remember nVidia's driver that killed off old cards suspiciously close to the Fermi release?

I have the cursor corruption bug, and have done for ages, it's annoying but I'm not gonna pretend that AMD on the whole have crap drivers that most users suffer with.

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Maybe, but not for this chip if the rumors are true. That means there's no reason why Nvidia can't jump on the 28nm bandwagon at the same time.

3. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

If it happens for once, that I'm about to order my new build just AFTER the next-gen of gfx cards is announced, I'll be happy. for about a month. until the next, next-gen of gfx cards is announced.... still it would make a change.

4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

When these things are released, you'll be able to run the pc gaming library at 200fps instead of 100fps.

So much power, nothing really using it.

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the shrink we've been waiting for

6. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Sounds like someone at AMD wants people to be ready for BF3!

7. Ice Maiden

Ice Maiden What's a Dremel?

Any clue as to how much these babys will be priced?

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yay, maybe I'll have an excuse to upgrade my trusty 4870x2. :)

It'll be difficult to let go though...

9. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

All I care about is if Bulldozer will homage its name upon release and if the HD7000 range shows an exponential improvements comparing to the HD6000. Until then, I only want 2 HD6950 modded to 6970 and kick some ass :D but money won't let me have them =(

10. Nature

Nature Minimodder

hmmm almost back 9800pro... I hope they use the shrink to make a 512 bit memory interface... Even a single GPU card as big as a 6990.. No ring bus, a real 512.

11. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Mmmm I dont think they would want to go over 350 square mm die size for the next product. Cayman is really too large for them, I think they were just pushed into a corner due to 32nm getting scrapped.

If Cayman has 24 simd blocks, then I would say that the top ATI 28nm gpu would have 40 blocks. I think 48, an exact doubling, would be to far for them.

Better questioin is will nvidia go for another very large flagship gpu??

GT200 -> gf100 -> gf110 -> gf???

12. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Only if you buy one of the high end chips. You could buy a mid/lower end one that has the same speed as current chips, but uses a lot less power at the wall and runs cooler/quieter.

13. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

GF110 is a fixed GF100.

Caymen is a forced evolution of the HD5xxx chip given that it, Caymen, was meant to be on 32nm. TY TMSC!

However, the switch in Caymen from 5 to 4VILW was done with 32/28nm (and beyond?) in mind. As you get smaller you have to get more power efficient. Which is why Fermi won't shrink!

Now let's talk drivers. If you take an out-of the-box-GTX590 and OC it/overvault it, using the provided on disc drivers, your nVidia flagship card goes 'BOOM'. Nice!

It is curious that BIT-TECH have yet to provide ANY information regarding the OC capabilities regarding nVidia's new "king of Cards". Why? The 6990 was reviewed on the 08.03.2011 ...oc'ing inc..
    The 590 was revieved 24.03.2011 ...oc capabilities? Still pending!

14. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke What's a Dremel?

I think you'll find it's VLIW
    Mmmm...so if you take the card out of factory spec, bad things can happen. Cheers for the heads-up. Must be a similar scenario to what HD48xx owners experience (myself included) either at stock or when overclocking and inadvertantly roasting the VITEC/VRM/PULSE
    Desperately seeking duallie love?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XRhne0odjJA

Maybe we can get back to the subject of the 28nm process now.

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

still say ATI have more issues with there drivers or More the CAT software then Nvidia do considering there are far more Nvidia systems out there just from 10 ATI higher end video cards (3850 agp - 5750 - 6850) i have played with all have had issues with games (broken textures for 3-6 months before fix, BF BC2) or like yesterday doing an update to the currant driver made an BSOD happen, it did update the driver thought when windows booted back up (ATI please load the new driver on reboot not inside windows as it tends to fail not very nicely when it unloads and then loads the new driver),

also do not know if they have Fixed the issues with noisey VRMs on the ATI side the noise they make is completely unacceptable (not sure if it was an 5850 or 6850), that alone is what would defernatly stop my from ever buying an ATI card as that noise was louder then the whole system every time i moved the mouse never mind when an game was running

590 was only blowing up due to drivers that should of not been used + stupid OC at the same time that an norm user of an 590 would not do (you would not use the drivers provided on the cd any way), OC the 590 is bit harder as hardocp has found out the oc mite be stable but the OVP will kill the overclock performance

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

28nm is a half node of 32nm, as is 40nm of 45nm. My guess is both companies will be aiming for the Nvidia GF11x tweak of the mix between high and low leak transistors in their cores.

The launch schedule of NV and AMD is entirely dependent on TSMC. It had a whole load of trouble with its 40nm and 32nm, so I would not expect 28nm to be early given recent history and the fact TSMC are doing High-k MG and Gate Last for the first time. Unless, that is, TSMC make a phenomenally lucky breakthrough I would doubt it.

To put it in perspective, Intel is already on its 3rd gen of both and its CPUs use HALF the transistors of current GPUs...

Also, even if AMD has experience at 32nm with GloFo, it won't help, because GloFo is only using SOI and Gate First still, so the Fab tech is completely different.

17. delsinboy

delsinboy intermediate selfbuilder

couldn't agree more

18. nell

nell What's a Dremel?

would this 7 series gpu be better suited to pc-e 3.0

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Amd driver issues are well known fact you don't see a 590 issues page on forums do you

But let's have a look for amd

5970 needs a full bios refresh To even work

5870 in crossfire was great perfromance when it worked ( I had it )

580 sli alot easier to live with in terms of driver issues and stability

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you just see them blowing up

Tags: Add Tags