1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAF aircraft 'hit by US missile'

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Moreland, 23 Mar 2003.

1. Moreland

Moreland banned

2. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Oh dear :( what a mess up.

There will apparently be a joint investigation though (of course though there will be fears of a US cover up in some quarters), amd I would be surprised if the RAF are willing to let the yanks cover it up if they tried and I will be furious if that does happen and Tony Blair doesn't get on the blower to Bush to ensure there is a fair outcome to any investigation.

Also there is IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) gear onboard all RAF combat jets, so in theory this should not have happened as I believe the Patriot radar has IFF and target identification gear that, providing the IFF transponder on the RAF aircraft was working and was set to the right setting (and also providing the Patriot crew knew what the correct IFF setting was for 'friendlies' this particular night, since IIRC they change the IFF codes often), it should have prevented the missile from engaging the aircraft.

3. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

I think so far more of our troops have been killed by allies than Iraqis.

A major cock-up indeed.

4. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Not this **** again :( :sigh: :(

Last time it was the air force attacking the troops on the ground, now it's the other way 'round. No winning. :(

5. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Pathetic, at least if he was killed by Iraqis there would be some honour.

6. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

what is it every time we go inot battle with america they kill more english lads than anyithg else

you dont shoot people on your side ffs or scrawl offensive graffeeti about us brits liek you did in afghanistan

7. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

well this kind of **** is bound to happen since there are hundreds of airplanes and choppers, a few accidents are almost unavoidable. especially at night. probably more americans will die from car accidents durnig the war than from anything else... also a few americans were killed when some fool started throwing grenades into his own base's tents. the reason more people are getting killed in accidents than in the actual war is because the iraqies aren't well equipped, and cause even if they are, they still ain't well trained, or organised, or in fact i doubt they're even motivated... and the fact that iraq claims to have armed 7 million civillians to protect their motherland, make you wonder just how ****ing desperate they are.

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I understand ur feelings on this guys but I feel, having worked with the guys that were shot down, that it is poor taste arguing about what in reality cannot be helped in battle.

With more than 12000 military vehicles (land, sea and air) in an active role in the gulf it is only a matter of time until Blue on Blue incidents happen. The fact is that there are considerably more americans than british, so there are more chances of the US forces hitting the UK forces than the other way round.

I will leave this thread open but hope you have the moral integrity to not turn it into a slanging match.

And please remember who is affected my these incidents, I am saddened, and I barely knew them. Their families will be told today, and will be devastated.

War is hell guys, we all signed on the dotted line knowing what was expected of us...

9. Moreland

Moreland banned

What i fail to understand is there are soo many safeguards particularly with patriot missiles.

I thought they had to be checked and re-checked before firing ? on patriots that is.

10. |Jedi|

|Jedi| What's a Dremel?

finally us an uk army have more dead people by error than by irak...

it will be funny if no dead people are involved

11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

What do you mean, Finally? :blah:

And I assume you mean it would be funny if no dead where involved - But I don't think it's funny in the slightest either way. :blah:

12. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

A bit more info here http://www.tiscali.co.uk/cgi-bin/ne...ws/templates/newswire/news_story_reuters.html
    but it may well have been that the Tornado transmitter was damaged, and as the fly very fast there may not have been enough time for voice checks, pure speculation, in the battlefield systems and information do not always work 100%.
    Very sorry to hear of more accidental casualties.:sigh:

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

u know this was the same batallion as the guy who was trying to wipe out his officers by throwing grenades into their tents?

It was about 30 mins - 1 hour after this incedent, as the unit went on full alert, thinking they were being attacked from outside, when it was actually an internal attack :grr:

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

What’s the news on this guy that was throwing grenades?
    Was he linked to a terrorist organisation or some disillusioned individual?

15. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

i dotn think we know yet but as far as i can work it out it was his bloke throwign grendaes fault

follwo my thinking

he's throwing grenades into the tents (these are people he knew) this causes the entire place to go to red alert, arm up set everyiothg to insta kill as they think there beign attacked & the plan from good old blightey was jsut in the wrogn place

so it is this blokes fault that our english soldiers died

hurt him:grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

16. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

You're absolutely right, sam. This is his doing, this is what he was trying to accomplish, a loss of life within the coallition. :grr:

As for the individual, it seems to me he was just a warped person. Something happened that turned him against the war, and he didn't feel it he would be doing the right thing if he didn't give his life trying to stop it.
    Just MHO, but if it's right, I spit on the anti-war protesters for inciting these kinds of incidents in such a trying time.

17. |Jedi|

|Jedi| What's a Dremel?

sorry for my english... i was sleepy

yes, what i mean is: it would be funny if no dead where involved

and the other thing is: There are more killed people by accident than by irak troops.

18. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

that is going to change pretty soon...:blah:

19. |Jedi|

|Jedi| What's a Dremel?

16 more uk troops killed by american friendly fire...

US is in war with irak or uk???? :confused:

20. Moreland

Moreland banned

thanks, reading it now.