1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Rage - Anyone excited?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 28 Sep 2011.

1. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Pre-ordered through steam, hopefully I can get a refund because quite frankly the issues with performance are completely unacceptable.

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Wow this really does not look good does it. Eurogamer gave it eight out of ten and in the comments someone posted the scores from a load of review sites and it was either high marks or low marks. Shame. We need ID and Carmack.

3. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

This looked promising, plus I thought I read somewhere that there were going to be significant upgrades for the PC version (something like the developers' version is 150GB, and to get it onto a dual-layer Blu-Ray they obviously had to crush everything down) to return it to something approaching impressive...?

If not, well, I'll wait.

4. rma

rma Minimodder

I ignored the warnings about Dead (on arrival) Island and I'm not getting stung again, so Amazon pre-order cancelled!

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How can others make great looking games for about 12-15GB? Rage is already 18GB. Are megatextures that big-a-deal? They didn't seem that impressive in QW:ET at the time. I still want to see this game in the flesh.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

ARS review was pretty much a case of "nice engine, shame about the game" pity. Waiting on Joe's take now...

7. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Dark Lord of BT!

I bought it last night, but have yet to install it

8. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

The mega textures are absolutely brilliant. Yes there is a bit of pop in and they aren't the highest resolution when viewed very close but the amount of detail in the world is insane, it's beautiful

9. bazman24

bazman24 Minimodder

i pre ordered this a while back but i dont think i will cancel my order just because of the texture problems this is a bit of a dissapointment but hopefully the issues will be fixed soon until they do i probaly wont play the game fully.

10. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

I played it! for 2 hours!

I pre-ordered the game on last Sunday, and got it today and still get the arcane edition (extra weapons and vehicle) + extra missions. although one of the weapons which is the fist of rage (tiny knives attached to your fist, one hit kill if the head is punched) is quite useful since the normal punches does not do much.

I played it for 2 hours... and IT IS a lot like Bortherlands...terrible handling on cars, mass of weapons which are customizable, variety of enemies etc similar theme. its nothing new.

i didn't play this on my main rig but instead I used my HTPC which features a core i5 2400 and a low profile GTS 450 which is overclocked(core@875MHz, Memory@2200MHz). I was able to max out settings at full HD res so it was great in that manner. the fps is limited at 60 but then it never really did drop much either, so avg was close to 60.

stock controls are terrible if you are driving with a boost and trying to shoot enemies, the fact that it auto aim emphasizes the console nature of the game but its not a bad thing really.

here are some of my screenshots of me racing XD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. the_kille4

texture problem... how about other people

when I first launched there was a problem with the refresh rate or something but was fixed when I installed the latest driver(280.26)

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I really, really hope this 'autodetect settings' feature has support for SLI.

As for the 'megatextures', it sounds as though having a lot of VRAM will help.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

reminds me of quake.. I keep getting attacked from behind though- need some plywood

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Bethesda just opened a can of worms:

Also some console tweaks:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/10/rage-on-pc-is-a-mess-but-you-can-fix-some-of-it.ars?

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1236250-rage-support/page__p__18743528#entry18743528

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Transcoding only on nVidia hardware? Nice!
    Well done, id! :grr:

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i gave this a quick go on my rig (see sig) last night, had to turn it of quickly because it gave me HUGE amount of headache.

where is Vsync option?? at 2560x1440, 16xAA, GPU transcode on, texture look bland, HUGE amount of tearing.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Might want to turn down the AA - perhaps it'll solve those problems.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

hum?? usually, turning UP settings will put more strain on GPU which should solve tearing (lowering FPS below 60)

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Tearing is a symptom of mis-aligned refresh between monitor and graphics FPS. High and low it happens, but most noticeable at low FPS. Up the frame rate to 180 FPS (for example) and tearing will be far less obvious.

Other solution, of course, is just to force Vsynch with your graphics driver centre.

20. the_kille4

I don't experience lag on my GTS 450. also remember, the textures are not really high res.

although besthesda did comment on this

Last edited: 6 Oct 2011