1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Rage Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Oct 2011.

1. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Just finished playing this game on my PC - game ran perfectly and had no problems re bugs.
    Have to say I enjoyed the game (My preference is for FPS types) the racing bit even using the PC keyboard was very good and I could complete many of the driving challenges easily.
    Certainly reminded me of Deus Ex and Mass Effect a bit - the RPG elements, but theres a lot here for everyone.
    Only one criticism, why are games these days prone to such CRAP endings!

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

heck I've only played to the first car races and could have told you to hold onto them.. in the first town- if you talk to the guy by the garage he tells you they are very valuable :geek:

3. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

And that's another RPG element Rage doesn't do well: important stuff like this is poorly conveyed. There's no differentiation between important dialogue and exposition.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

^^ Chirst how easy do you expect games to make it for you nowadays

RPG should not mean some bloke telling you to stokade on items it should mean there are 1000's of item types some more valuable than others, you need to working out for yourself.

5. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

DRM details? Well, lookie here - it uses Steamworks *spit*

Well I'll be boycotting this then (not been a compulsive ID fan but did get Quake 2 and 4). Thanks for providing the info Bit-Tech! :sarcasm:

6. The_Audiophile

The_Audiophile What's a Dremel?

This is probably the best review for Rage yet, most of the others have been too generous. The game is pretty and it's fluid, but it's ridiculously easy and feels incomplete. 7-7.5/10 for me

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

8. thehippoz

yeah carmack definitely has to replace the textures- you can already get them looking as clear as they can get

I'm not too sure about nvidia.. everything I've seen it looks like absolute ass- probably driver related because the textures look like something off a super nes

http://twitpic.com/6wtku5/full

here lemme get a pic out of my folder, like those signs in dietrichs room.. you can't improve those anymore- they are showing exactly as they are and need to be replaced.. it's not that the engine is failing to render properly- the textures are compressed to hell beyond fixing..

[​IMG]

they need to go back and work with the original textures.. wonder if they nuked them :D wouldn't suprise me.. I've done stupid things programming before- instead of hoarding you try to get rid of all your old code and later on it seems you always need to go back and pick at it.. it's not there anymore

the character textures are nice.. just weird they would release the game like that- I bet they don't have the originals before they were compressed for consoles.. that's the only thing can think of :eyebrow:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Oct 2011
  9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

Well I looked forward to this game for ages.
    I upgraded everything (2500K 'n all that) and got it from steam .
    Spent a while doing id's job for them and fixed it to run on my pc without screen tear etc.

Then got into it and just as it was winning me round.......it ended!

WTF? Seriously, I've put so few hours into it and that's my lot!

Reminds me of when I finally snagged the best looking girl in class only to find out that she's off to Australia the next day!

Ho hum, back to Deus Ex DLC then...

11. thehippoz

when you say snagged.. dated or safe in the bedroom by the shower

12. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

lol - suffice it to say that Rage was fun while it lasted...

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nice find impar! Brandon is a great writer, I shall enjoy reading that piece.

15. Retroburn

Retroburn What's a Dremel?

"In short, it's almost impossible to die in Rage - and once you realise that it becomes hard to shake the blasé approach that the lack of fear generates. " --- THIS.

I gave the game a 7.7 in my review. It's interesting where our points agree and differ. Here's the link if anyone's curious: http://imbacore.blogspot.com/2012/02/rage-pc-review.html

16. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

"In short, it's almost impossible to die in Rage - and once you realise that it becomes hard to shake the blasé approach that the lack of fear generates. "

Well that applies to most PC games which rely on an F5 save rather than a checkpoint save.

I don't think it destroys the feeling of immersion at all.

If you were to take this argument to extremes, then you'd have to play the whole game through to the end without any saves (just like the old days!).

I challenge anyone not to be suitably scared the first time they do "the hospital mission".

I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it for you.

17. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

yeah its quite hard to die but it does happen and if you want a bit more tension then just rely on the auto saves alone, which are a fair bit stretched out. oh and stop playing on easy too. tbh i like having all the save features as some times i have to quickly leave the game and love being able to continue later in the exact same spot. I definitely was a bit tense on the hospital mission. i'm really liking the game tbh, it's filling the gap till borderlands 2.

Tags: Add Tags