1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raid 0 Two sata DVD burners?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bubsterboo, 3 Jul 2007.

1. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I came up with the idea of setting up two sata dvd burners in raid 0. First of all, can you even do that? I the idea because then you could burn large files spread across two disks. I could burn an 8gb file across two dvd5s or 16gb files across two dvd9s.

I understand that i could just rar or zip them into multiple files so i could burn across how ever many disks i like. But i really like this idea because I want to be able to play back whatever i burn without having to use up hdd space copying things over.

I saw a thing somewhere when someone made a raid array of many many floppy drives, so I'm thinking if you can do it with floppy drives, why not dvd drives?

So, is it possible to set up? Or is there a better solution that will have the following features, maybe some magic software?:
    -Possible performance increase (doesn't really matter)
    -Added capacity spread across multiple disk drives and disks
    -Readable right off the disk(s), no need to copy over or unrar.

I know its kind of a strange, silly thing to do. But i like strange and silly things :p

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Pretty sure this can't be done as RAID storage requires a few HDD sectors to store parity data.

3. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I don't think he ment actually doing it in RAID but rather an entirely new way. I personally have no idea if this would be possible enough but its an interesting idea none the less. If someone managed it it would be so cool.

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

In theory, I guess you could use optical drives in a distributed fashion like this.
    I don't think any hardware available right now would do it however.

Isn't reading from the single disc fast enough to stream whatever you want though?

5. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Yeah, a single disc is fast enough. I'm more interested in the storage potential. I have video files that are 8gbs+ and i think it would be cool if i could store them on two dvd5s or two dvd9s, yet still be able to play it on my computer without having to copy/unrar.

Although, i could of course just cut the video into two parts. But thats no fun. This is way cooler.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2007
  6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Or just use duel layer burner/media

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

To put it simply, no, a file has to be closed off with the correct terminators and so does a disc, hence why if you try to multisession at close to (95%+) of a discs total size it will say that you cannot multisession and force single session.

A program like Nero Vision will automatically re-encode and split video files however.

8. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

i know you like silly things, but would it not be cheaper in the long run to buy another hard drive and it would aslo prob be safer, as discs = easily scratched etc.

but none the less cool idea :p