1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows RAID 1 from existing drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by r4tch3t, 14 Jul 2009.

1. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Hey guys, I have just ordered a new TB drive (F1) to complement the one I already have. I want to set them up in a RAID 1 array, I tried to find the process of doing it but they are all based on the drive being your OS drive. They are of little or no help if I want to keep the data on the drive.

Hardware specs
    AMD Athlon 3200+
    ASUS A8N-E
    1GB RAM (Have another gig but it won't take it)
    Vista 64-bit (Also dual boot to Ubuntu but that never gets used)
    320GB WD OS drive
    1x1TB Samsung F1 + the one in the post

This is my server and holds all the backups and data for the other computers and I wanted to have a RAID 1 array to prevent losing the data.

So how would I go about turning the current drive into a RAID array without formatting the drive?

2. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

if your running windows xp/2003 server/vista you convert the drive to dynamic then you should be able to select the new drive as a mirror/clone of the first drive.
    i have done it before but have forgot the exact procedure.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Hopefully that will work, most of the guides I have seen so far say that both drives have to be converted, which means losing the data.

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Make a BACKUP!

I did this on a domain controller before and I hosed the OS!

CloneZilla, or if you wanna buy it, Ghost, will work nicely.

It always better to build an array from scratch anyway IMO.

5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The thing is the HDD has about 600 gig on it already so I have no place to put it all, it is the backup for our laptops and storage.
    And there is no way I am burning 140DVDs :lol:

6. hilbert70

hilbert70 What's a Dremel?

Not sure here. But make the new disk a part of a raid 1 array (degraded, or how it is called). Then copy the 600 Gig of the "old" disk to the degraded raid array. Disconnect the "old" drive and see if the data is still correct. If so then add the old disk to the raid array and you should be up and running, the raid software/hardware will be rebuilding the raid array.
    This is how i did it with my Centos Server. Should be similar to windows I guess.

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Heh, that could work, but it does involve copying everything twice. It should be here tomorrow or Friday. (Wish we had Royal Mail, was always next day when I was in England)

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

OK, so Vista completely refused to see the RAID array and always presented both drives as separate drives. So I backed everything up and installed Linux instead. Put the Ubuntu live CD in and lo and behold the RAID array present with just the live CD. I then transferred everything off the 320GB OS drive back onto the array and then installed Ubuntu. Works so much better and now I have more control over who can see and write to different folders.
    So now I have hardware RAID instead of software RAID I was expecting to have to use.