1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage RAID: A card or the mobo chip

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord-Vale3, 15 Jul 2010.

1. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

I am considering buying two more hard drives identical to the one I have now, and putting them in a RAID 5 array to increase storage capacity and to add a little security.

My question is should I take advantage of the P55 chipsets ability to control RAID 5 or would I be better off getting a dedicated RAID card? I use a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 btw

2. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

RAID 5 is usually crap anyway, with very low write speeds (because of parity). You'll see less CPU loading on a dedicated RAID card, though I wouldn't personally do either.

3. Lord-Vale3

I'm newer to the PC building scene, and I know the benefits of fast read speeds, but I'm not sure of the downsides of low write speeds - would it just make installing and saving take a real long time?

If RAID 5 should be avoided, what would be a better option? I want to increase the capacity I have right now to something higher than 500 GB, and getting another drive just to put them in RAID 1 would add security, but not capacity.

4. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Pick up a 1TB disk, mirror the 500GB disk to it using Acronis, format the 500GB drive and use it to back up your important files every so often.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

RAID 5 does indeed suffer from comparatively slow writes, and the motherboard solutions are usually regarded as a bit crap in the long run. Personally I don't think RAID really belongs in everyday computers - servers, backup boxes, maybe - and I'd agree with Bakes. A new F3 1TB would be plenty fast, and leave you the 500GB for backup.

6. Lord-Vale3

Hmm. My whole reasoning for RAID would be that I wouldnt have to back up every now and then, but thats really just me being lazy. I guess getting a 1 TB drive would work, and I'll just back up important files (schoolwork), often.

If thats the case, I might as well get an external enclosure for the 500 GB disk.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Are you using it as part of your main PC or as a separate box?

8. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

You should still back up even if you have raid. There are still all sorts of things that could go wrong, viruses, data corruption plus rebuilds take a freaking age. At least with backups you get a fully versioned copy of your data - just set it to backup every 48 hours when you're at dinner.

9. Lord-Vale3

Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to go ahead and decide to get a 1 TB Hard Drive and put the 500 GB in an external enclosure. And I'll back up every 48 hours or so, I'll just remember to have the external plugged in by a certain time on certain days.

The plan was to use it as part of my main PC. I'm a college student paying for college off of scholarships, which pays for everything, a little extra, and the big scholarship (pays full tuition and fees) even gives me a $300/month stipend, so thats my income. (Cant work during the school year, have a full schedule with just school) Therefore I do not yet quite have the resources to build a nice big network storage device and a network to put it in or even a place to put said network. (Dorms are sorta small)