1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Raid Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by User-sam, 11 Jun 2016.

1. User-sam

User-sam When in doubt, follow your nose.

Hi Guys,

I'm experiencing a very odd issue with my PC where the raid keeps on failing. I'm currently running 2x 500GB SSD's in raid 0 on an Maximus VI Extreme using the motherboards intel raid controller. Basically when I boot it comes up with a message on the raid saying it's failed I reboot the PC then all is hunky dory and it boots to windows.

Things I have tried to fix it:

• Reinstall Windows 10
    • Delete and Rebuild Raid
    • Reset CMOS and change battery
    • Reset BIOS
    • Re Flash BIOS
    • Rebuild raid as raid 1 (Still fails but just says degraded)

I'm now at the point where I'm slowly running out of ideas and patience, so any advice would be massively appreciated. :thumb: Oh also from time to time when I shut the PC down windows will shutdown but the PC stays on and I have to hold the power button in. Only happens once in a blue moon though.

Thanks

Sam

2. User-sam

I have also ran a health check on the SSD's and both are at 100% health. Both passed S.M.A.R.T test and reported to be fine.

3. User-sam

Any suggestions guys? :)

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Does it happen when you remove the overclock?

5. User-sam

Hi bud, currently no overclock applied at the moment. Was wondering if the raid controller on the motherboard has actually broke? Don't know if this is possible?

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Check voltages & base clocks etc, as it's on-board RAID it's very sensitive to things like this.
    Next step is to check all cables, check for shorts & then check the PSU is working correctly.
    As the PC isn't turning off when it's sent the shutdown command I'd say this (based on experience) is what's causing issues with the RAID setup.

7. User-sam

Hi Saspro, thanks for the suggestions these are some very solid points. I will work my way through the list and let you know how I get on. Could be something as daft as a FP cable in the wrong slot.

Thanks again

Sam

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It could be something as simple as a 4 pin PSU cable in an 8 pin slot not giving the CPU enough juice, an underpowered PSU or the CPU having the wrong settings on auto