1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other RAID -Replacing a HDD in RAID 0

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DMAthlon, 11 Nov 2009.

1. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

I have a customer's comptuer (A Sony VAIO PCVA51L) that came pre-configured in RAID 0. One of his HDD's is failing and needs to be replaced. The HDD totally failed to the point that Windows XP would not load, that I have gotten sufficiently repaired to where I can boot WinXP properly but it's still showing that the HDD on SATA channel 1 is failing.

The HDD's in there are WD1600JS and I have a WD1600AAJS to replace it with. Any and ALL help and advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Montyburns

Montyburns What's a Dremel?

Whilst the computer/HD is still alive, i'd be tempted to clone both drives onto a backup/external disk, replace the faulty drive, re-create the raid 0 array, the clone the backed up content back.

If that makes sense.

3. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

That does make sense. Thanks! Very risky though >.< I'd rather not touch the good HDD if I didn't have to....

4. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I don't know of anyway to replicate a single drive from a RAID0 array. I think your only option is to backup the entire array and then recreate with the new drive in place.

5. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

I think it is possible to clone it. Ghost et al can do a direct disk-to-disk clone. Plop failing and replacement drives into another comp and start cloning. Just make sure that the software does not attemp anything wonky like error correction.