1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raid

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rewris, 1 Sep 2004.

1. rewris

rewris New Member

hey, i have two HDDs and no more IDE connections, what do i do? i want to add maybe two more hard drives, do i use raid?

what is raid exactly?

thanks

2. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

raid in detail

first get urself a RAID card, as this will probly b the easier solution. and yes raid is wat u will need if uv got no more IDE or sata ports.

there r 3 main types of raid, raid 0, raid 1, and raid 0+1

heres wat they do

raid 0-> can get 2 or more hdds and make it think theres one, example, 2x 80gb hdds in raid 0 will show p as 1x 160gb hdd, this can/may improve hdd performance because it splits the files between 2 hdds and increasing transfer speed

raid 1-> this one is called mirrored raid, an example is u have a 40gb hdd wif all ur files on it, u have another 40gb in raid 0 wif it, it make an exact copy of ur first hdd incase it fails so u dont lose ur work

raid 0+1-> is a combination of both of these but u need 4 hdd to do it, so u can have 4x 80gb hdd and 2 of these have ur files stored in them and the other 2 keep a backup of these files.

ne more questions?, yes u can still run the hdds as single drives.

3. Hamish

Hamish New Member

you can get non-raid ide pci cards too, you dont need to buy a raid card

4. MovieFreak

MovieFreak New Member