1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Ram question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shaftydude, 15 Nov 2010.

1. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Some help here please, my friend wants to move from 2gig of ram to 4gig of ram.

Current parts.

Motherboard
    Asus P5B-E Plus socket 775 Motherboard p965

Ram DDR2
    OCZ Platinum Revision 2 XTC 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Series (OCZ2P800R22GK)

Would buying two of these http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...-6400-(800)-240-pins-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-5 work?

He don't care if it ends up running in single channel from his current dual channel, he just wants it to run. I think it will, I just wanted to make sure before ordering the parts.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2010
  2. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Fix your link...

3. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Oops, fixed.

4. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

It should work, but I'd recommend only 2x2GB modules that are matched, because then there will not only be the chance of upgrading to 8GB down the line without new modules, the performance will be better, and imo that ram will not be exactly good performance for overclocking. If you had matched modules, these would perform better.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The existing RAM is C4 whilst the new sticks linked @ Scan is CAS 5. You will probably have to manually alter the timings of each pair in the BIOS to get them to play nice together but it should work.

There is 2x2GB DDR2 going in the marketplace atm for around £35-£40, would it be an option to sell the existing RAM and get 2x2GB? It might work out at about the same price difference as spending £26 on the new RAM @ Scan.