1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory RAM upgrade recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ing0, 16 Oct 2011.

1. ing0

ing0 What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on getting some additional RAM for my rig.

Currently I'm using 2 slots with 2 to spare. Here are the stats:
    [​IMG]

I was thinking of just getting another 4GB (2x2GB) but not sure if I'll just be wasting my time and might as well just replace the old RAM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Unless you have a particular need then 4GB is fine as it is!

3. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

as above unless you actually need more you may as well stick with what you have, but if you are looking to upgrade your rig anyway, then i would get rid of your current stuff and getting some higher frequency like 1600 or 1866. and yeah 8gb. i believe corsair vengeance is considered the best value right now

personally i love my ripjaws x.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What Motherboard and CPU do you have anyway?

5. ing0

ing0 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice. It's got me thinking, it is rare that I would actually need more than 4GB ram. Would you say it would be beneficial to replace the RAM I have now for some with a higher frequency or is it just not worth the cash involved?

I bought my current stuff in 2009 and as now, didn't really know what was good / bad when looking.

6. Kiliv

Kiliv What's a Dremel?

tbh i would just leave it till you upgrade and put the money into something else where you will notice the benefit more like a new gpu etc

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

8Gb (2x4Gb) of Corsair is only £35 right now, at that price, why not?

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

In short: no. Of all the components in your system, memory has the least perceptible impact on performance. A faster CPU, fast GPU or fast HDD will make a much bigger difference than faster memory.

Quantity is a similar story in that very few people need more than the common 4GB or 6GB of RAM - I recently upgraded to 9GB for the heck of it, and have since decided to downgrade to something smaller (currently 3GB whilst I sell off my 6GB Dominator kit) because having too much RAM is just silly. I'd say 6-8GB is ample for most people, and too little or too much for a select few.

It's a lot like power supply wattage vs actual power usage: if people knew precisely how much memory their systems actually used, they'd likely be very surprised. I have a memory usage chart on all the time and it is always below 3GB. :)

9. Another_level

Another_level What's a Dremel?

@LennyRhys,

There was a Corsair's tech report (AN902) on the performance difference between 4 & 8gb of RAM and concluded that more RAM allowed for a more responsive system. Toms Hardware also came to the same conclusion on one of their own articles and gave performance data up to 16gb RAM.

What is your view on this?