1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other random buzzing from new sound card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 8 Apr 2019.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi everyone
    I have buzzing issues, I said "random buzzing" in the title cuz the buzzing is not permanent, and this is why it's pretty hard to understand where it comes from, as the buzzing is never starting by itself, but by any keyboard or mouse action during the playing of a file including an audio track...:geek:
    I elaborate a bit...
    These troubles started some time ago when I accidentally touched the original sound card while the computer was on, and some component obviously burned in the sound card :wallbash:
    I tryed the sound card in another PC but the device was unclaimed.:waah:
    I was totally upset, this is my main computer, and apart from several uses, it's linked to 3 screens including a large TV screen in HDMI to watch movies ! so I first thought about buying the same sound card, unfortunately this sound card was sold with the mother board, and this hardware is too old to be found anymore. To be precise it's that:
    [​IMG]
    Going further, I noticed that this Asrock sound card is based upon the Creative core 3d audio processor:
    [​IMG]
    so I thought the same audio processor was required, and I baught this
    [​IMG]
    I installed drivers with success and it worked :grin:...but soon, I noticed that buzzing, but after reboot it was fine and it took me some time to realise that if i do something else on another screen, during the playing of a movie, the buzzing starts...
    to give you the entire sound configuration, the sound card is connected to a M-Audio AV-40 PC speakers set.
    So it works well, as long as I don't do anything else, but the stranger thing is that sometimes, I can use the mouse or run another soft or whatever and it's NOT buzzing....(seldom times), and in some cases, the buzzing starts a minut or two after some operation with the mouse.
    I tryed a few tests like:
    _try another set of PC speakers: same result :rollingeyes:
    _connect the sound card to a HI-FI amplifier and HI-FI speakers instead: same result :rollingeyes:
    _try the sound card in another PC : no problems of buzzing :naughty:
    All of this makes me wonder if the sound card was not the only one possible to match this mother board...what you think ?
    I posted my problem on 3 different french hardware forums like 3 months ago, without any reply as of now :grin:, I hope one of you guys will have a clue, or anything to suggest, or with a tremendous luck, an Asrock sound blaster card to sell :grin:

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks a lot VT :grin:, that's something to try, I order it right away...

4. Vault-Tec

I used to hear my hard drives spinning up and everything. It seems good grounding is not high on the priority list for mobo makers.

Those isolators worked for me after years of being driven nuts with all sorts of noises.

It could also be your residence. My old one sucked balls. Not really tried the new flat yet as not set up PC. It was deliberate . If I set it up now nothing else would get done lol.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

:idea: I never heard about this device before, it looks like it's simply genious regarding what you say, it might be the best thing to do, i'll update the post about the result and I'll be highly grateful to you if it works for me like for you. However, I don't think it's my residence, I live in an ancient house in the countryside, on the top of a hill, with almost no neighbours, and I can tell you that I never had this kind of issues before or with any other PC sound card, but it's probably a possibility to consider in a town...thanks for your idea and kindness anyway

6. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Active Member

I don't think I've ever had a PC that did not humm when playing audio through the analog jacks. Granted, I've also never used a dedicated sound card, but the inside of a PC case is just a bad environment for analog devices sensitive to interference. The ground loop eliminator might work, the worst ground loop I had was significantly reduced but not eliminated with a ground loop isolator.

The next option I would recommend would be a digital hookup from your PC to your speakers, using either the yellow RCA jack or the optical jack right next to it. Of course, if your speakers do not have a digital input, then I think your next best option might be a USB sound card. You could also try a name brand internal sound card, but honestly I doubt it would improve things much. I will say I've never used ASRock boards, but I've never been given the impression they are top quality based on reviews I've read, maybe that audio board is as good as a Creative card, maybe not. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend the extra money on a Creative just in hopes of it being shielded better than the ASRock option, I think your money would be better spend just skipping straight to an external USB sound card if the ground loop isolator doesn't solve the problem.

There is also one more option, but I think it's the least likely, the power supply for your speakers could be the problem itself. I think this is the most unlikely, but I have had this happen with one cheap PC speaker. Have you tried these speakers with another audio source like maybe a headphone jack on a cell phone or another piece of audio equipment?

7. kim

kim hardware addict

first, thank you very much for your very complete reply Colonel Sanders, the ground loop eliminator is the first thing to try, as it's cheap and fast to verify, I will know if and how it works here, once I got delivered, but I will also try the other plugging options you're mentioning... I reckon I only used the mini-jack to RCA without exploring all linking options of my sound card...:grin: I add that I also tried a different Jack-RCA wire in case of, but same thing...
    Your idea of the speakers power supply defection is smart, but as I said, I already tried another set of speakers, likewise an HI-FI amplifier and HI-FI speakers, obtaining the same buzzing :sigh:
    Of course, I thought about external USB sound card, but I would prefer save money for something else if I can...
    To finish, I agree with you, I am pretty disappointed with my Asrock motherboard,I rushed to buy my I7 4930k, and I choosed the Asrock for the 40 PCI 3.0 lines and the amazing design, but it turns out the additional USB 3.0 chip causes issues, and the sound card is nothing but a "gadget" , besides, amazing processors and new chipsets came to birth soon after, and I'm still crying not to have wait more...:naughty:

Last edited: 10 Apr 2019
  8. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Active Member

Sorry, it was late last night when I was posting and I missed the part after your images in your post where you mention your troubleshooting steps. That said, if your speakers are good, and the sound card was tested and is good in another PC then a ground loop isolator seems like a good idea, assuming this is ground humming. I'm interested to see how if the ground loop isolator works for you since it is a good cheap option that might work, but in my experience, I would expect it to just reduce the humm and not completely eliminate it.

And I'm not a fan of ASRock quality (again, I haven't used one, its only my opinion they probably are not the best brand) but I have noticed similar humming from Gigabyte and ASUS boards. On one particular board, I cant recall which one, I get a buzz that is in sync with the seeking of my hard-drive.

9. kim

kim hardware addict

yeah, I'm definitely cured from Asrock boards, I usually prefer Gigabyte or Asus as well, stupid thing is, I was hurry to upgrade and I had the money when 2011 socket arrived, I first baught the I7 4930k as it was the best processor at that time, just slightly behind the 4960x, but almost half cheaper...and this Asrock MB was the first to handle 40 PCI 3.0 lines and USB 3.0... anyway, I got it now, so I must assume :grin: and apart from USB3.0 issues, it works well, and before I damaged my sound card, I never had any troubles or ground humming so...:sigh:
    In any case, I will update the post about future evolution, trying the ground loop isolator first, and all other options...
    I thank you very much, Colonel Sanders, and also Vault-tec, for so fast and smart answers, I learned a great deal about my problem, I'm so happy to find audience here on Bittech, when I think about the weeks I spent, waiting for a reply in my own country's forums :grin:, I am delighted to speak correct english and very glad to be a member here.
    have a nice day, this is to be continued...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi guys
    I received my ground loop isolator saturday, so it's my second day using it, and as of now, there's no humming or buzzing anymore...
    Since I started to have an interest in ground humming, I realised that it's a very current problem with PC users, I browsed several forums where many users have mentioned the similar kind of problems, without anyone proposing the ground loop isolator...:eyebrow:
    I found also this video, showing quite a thorough explanation of ground buzzing and ways to fix it...

thanks again to you Vault-tec :clap:

wolfticket and Vault-Tec like this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Glad it's fixed.

12. kim

kim hardware addict

you've got the credit for it mate :thumb:, it was such an annoyance, thank you so much...
    odd how a big issue can be fixed with such an easy and cheap way :grin:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Yeah I think it's a bit of a catch all really. Like, it may fix issues that aren't even related.

Video was interesting too I have it a watch last night :)

I used to use them in my car audio days and even back then it just seemed to have no rhyme or reason. New cars were just as susceptible to it as old cars.

kim likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

The mystery deepens.

I used to have several sound devices on my PC. The onboard Realtek, a D2X ,SB TIT HD and an external Xonar U1? something like that... to split into the monitor speakers and the Bose sub I re-amped. I had to use a GLI on each device in my old flat.

After I revamped my rig I removed all of the sound cards from the inside apart from the Realtek onboard. I also decided to sacrifice high end audio on this rig, and just set up my Asus Centurion (TBH it does sound amazing any way). I also had a Xonar U7? external. I decided I may as well use that on the speakers and sub, rather than using the crap onboard. Like I said, I am not setting up any amps or cans on this rig. So I wired that up and as soon as I boot the PC it starts whistling. Now bear in mind, this is a brand spanking new building and I have no other audio problems elsewhere. I start a benchmark and man, it screams like a discovered witch in Left 4 Dead. Like a really horrible, loud, high pitched howling. I've disabled every single input, output, and unused sound device in the rig, yet still it persisted. I would likely say at this point it's sounding (pardon the pun) like it's the GPU.

Pop on a GLI? problem completely eradicated. Obviously the USB Centurion does not suffer the same ills, but I find it extremely odd that I am getting such terrible interference on the U7 MK2, given it too is USB and thus not at the mercy of the PCIE lanes.

This was what I was getting at Kim. You could have a brand new house/flat with brand new wiring and yet still suffer from audio problems. It doesn't really seem to discriminate. Well, it sort of does, my old flat everything bloody buzzed and hummed ffs.

15. kim

kim hardware addict

After reading your mishaps with sound cards, and realising that even external sound devices like the Xonar can produce ground humming, buzzing, howling or any kind of audio annoyances, I am bewildered...:jawdrop:
    Seemingly there is not any ultimate explanation to ground humming, so like you said "It doesn't really seem to discriminate"...:grin:
    I used to accuse my Asrock MB, as it was working without buzzing with the original sound card, but finally, I think there is quite a wide range of possible causes, perhaps it's just due to imperfections of some of the sound reproduction elements, or more or less well build components, without forgetting the many waves that surround us...anyway, praise the GLI :thumb:

Vault-Tec likes this.