1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Random net dropouts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 731|\|37, 29 Mar 2007.

1. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

I'm on XP, Embarq (sprint's old broadband network), through a netgear wireless router, and service-provided DSL modem.

It seems to happen randomly, but my net connection will cut out. I can't ping out, FF can't find server requests, and MSN won't sign on. Netstat looks fine, from what I can tell I didn't loose a dynamic address because I can pull the cable, reconnect, it reacquires an address and I still have the problem. The only solution I have in the short-term is a reboot. This will fix the problem, but it's a little less than idea. I have a gentoo machine on that router as well and it hasn't experienced any difficulties connecting.

Any ideas?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

When it happens again, force a repair on the network connector. Status -> Repair

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

What firewall are you running? I found ZoneAlarm causing that on two different installs: the connection slowed until it just stopped - as soon as I killed it the network worked fine.

4. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

I get this same problem using a netgear wired router. It usually happens after I've been on counter strike. I try to open fire fox and nothing happens eventually it just times out, but theres still a connection there because I can run EvE online.

I've tried to find some sort of timeout option for the router but I cant find anything. One day it just stopped doing it, but then I formatted and it was back to square one :sigh:

5. 731|\|37

Well... It happened again and so I poked around the device manager to see if anything was amiss. I did notice that windows was able to shut down the device to conserve power, and I generally only experience these dropouts after periods away from the computer, so I unchecked that and I'll see how that goes.

I am running ZA, if it happens again I'll try shutting it down, and then trying to repair it... If I remember, because I don't have a second machine to get online with to figure out what was suggested.

Thanks

6. 731|\|37

Looks like it's ZA thats doing that. I still haven't figured out why though...

Tags: