1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Rant / Earn yourself £10!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbungle, 7 Apr 2009.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Righty.

I have a friend that has a Advent 8315 Laptop. Big standard core duo 2 affair.

However it uses a ultra ultra crap EAA-89 model chassis. This chasis has a odd hinge system and they fair if you so much as look at them.

Laptop was bought from pcworld, they are the only uk supplier for this laptop as far as im aware (and the other models that use the same chasis). They refuse to sell the part although I know if it was under warranty or extended support with them it would get repaired so they do have access to them. Just being VERY VERY awkward. They will however fit the parts for £80 if we get them :(

Phillips also brand out a laptop to pcworld using the same chasis, they just told me to contact pcworld techretards :grr:

SO

I need a pair of hinges for a EAA-89 Chasis.

This is alll I can find on the entire internets and its stupid money and its only for one hinge.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150337087311

Gives you all the model numbers tho.

Will give a fresh tenner (in paypal form) to whoever finds me a pair of hinges! for not insane money.
    Go go go internet friends!

2. Degenerate83

Degenerate83 What's a Dremel?

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

I was under the impression that advent computers are made by msi (or made using a licence from msi), so it may be worth trying them, they may use the same suppliers for parts.

Also do not stop at PC world, PC world/currys/dixon are owned by DSGi. If you want something done in that company go no where near PC world, it is by far the worst part of it. Even if they do make the most money.

I am sure if they could be bothered they could source parts, I do not know if it is of any help, but the Peterborough PC world store is where all the returns are dealt with, any laptop going away for repair/replace back to the manufactures will go through the Peterborough store, they possibly have better links for replacement parts. But as I worked there for a short period of time I can tell you that it could take a while to actually get anyone who is good. Try the business centre on a saturday and ask for simon :thumb:

Krikkit likes this.
  4. mrbungle

5. Degenerate83

Degenerate83 What's a Dremel?

6. mrbungle

Hey.

Yeah have called and emailed that bloke/company a bunch of times and I think I got one response and he never picks up.

Same people/person as http://www.laptop-spares-online.co.uk who did have them for a while but they all sold in about a day and I was back to square one :(

Really appreciate the extra pair of eyes though, shame I was working this afternoon or I would have been sorted.