1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rant: why rich people suck

Discussion in 'General' started by bbigboy101011, 29 Nov 2004.

1. dom_

dom_ --->

tbf the only rich people i know have worked bloody hard for it. i dont know many people who leave for work at 6.30am come home at 8.30pm.
    you just assume all money is inherited and not worked for. this is rather untrue.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

True. In psychology we call people like that "Corporate Psychopaths". they are people who exhibit all the classical traits of psychopathy, but manage to sublimate/apply it in the work environment. Often their dysfunctional traits are misinterpreted as certain desireable attributes so valued in business employees (such as competitiveness, acquisitiveness, singlemindedness, decisiveness, and to some extent dispassion, aggression, subjugation of personal relationships to career goals) and they manage to get up the promotion ladder quickly. By the time companies find out what dangerous and destructive screwballs such people can really be, it's often too late to get rid without a really nasty fight (This of course does not mean that every successful business person is a psychopath!).

back on topic:

I know a few "rich" or "successful" people. I know a business laywer who makes well into six figures a year. The work schedule is gruelling (think: 2 days a week: Get up at 6.00am. Commute to office in London by 8.00. Works until 8.00pm. Goes back home and continues work at home until 12.00am. 3 days a week: works in home town from 8.00am to 10.00pm. Weekends may involve half a day, too). Frankly I would not keep those hours for all the money in the world. You make your choice, and you pay your price.

Everybody pays. Everybody.

3. dom_

dom_ --->

unless i kill my family to inherit the money, then i dont work :D

but until they all die at once i shall continue working :|

4. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

and big issue sellers dont?

5. Nexxo

Yes, they work, too. but that was not the argument. The argument was that rich people don't.

6. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

In my personal experience I have found there to be three types of rich people:

Rich -But doesn't want anyone to know about it. Acts and lives as if they are "well off". When you find out these people are in fact rich you are supprised.
    A close familily friend is this way. I didn't know they we rich till they paid me for some computer work I did for them years back.

Rich -But keeps themselves in check. But they still own a very nice house, nice cars, rich things, but does't flaunt it, or make you feel poor.
    I know a guy who owns a whole chain of nice shopping areas. I didn't know he was rich until I visited his huge house.

Rich -For the sake of being rich. These are the guys the above rant is about.
    They make you feel poor simply to make themselves feel better in their "position" in life. Normaly these people are depressed and disconnected from normal life.

7. Nexxo

There are two types of people: those who put people into categories, and those who don't. :p :D

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

and even if it is inherited, it doesn't make them bad. There a guy at edinburgh uni this year, who's the son of a lord, or duke or something, well he has a title. He wears lordly clothing, check, plaid (sp?), and has a cain. But i have heard he's a bloody nice guy. He's working, and (so i hear) isnt a yarr. So good for him, and bad for you, for being so... i dunno the word for what it is.

9. yohann46

yohann46 What's a Dremel?

:sigh: To pay so much attention to everyone else is what will bring you down. Choose to enjoy your own life and let others enjoy a life they choose. We all come in and go out the same way. How will you live this life
    you have.

10. penski

penski BodMod

If you're sufficiently weak-willed that someone else can make you feel bad about yourself then I don't even pity you.

Since when did we de-evolve our spines?

*n

11. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

I live in a suburb outside of Chicago on the “North Shore” that bbigboy probably knows very well. We have our share of multi-millionaires and a few billionaires. I live very close to Michael Jordan and John Hughes, Mr. T etc. I know nice people and I know some not nice people. Wealth and the origin of that wealth have little to do with it. I believe environment is the most overwhelming factor in a person’s life. That said, wealth is relative. As has been mentioned, to own a computer with internet access and attend school may be more then many people have. I grew up in a family that started with very little but with HARD work and some luck I would say we are doing OK. Personal finances are my business and mine alone. I have lived in a 900sq/ft apartment and a 10,000sq/ft home. No matter where I lived, I found all kinds of different people, no matter what their income was. If I have a million dollars, would I consider myself rich if all my friends and neighbors had 100 million. Of course not. Would I be better off than many other people, yes, but again it’s relative.

Out of college I worked for a private bank that handled the accounts of the Bulls, the White Sox and other very wealthy people. For the most part these people were very nice, considerate and if I did not have access to their bank accounts would never know that they had millions. On the occasion, I had to deal with people that if I met on the street I would have beaten the living daylights of for being so rude. The interesting thing was that these people would be considered “well off” in this community and not rich.

Paris Hilton is a poor excuse for a person; rich or not. Just because her antics are exploited by American TV doesn’t make all rich people suck. She is not the majority, at least form my experience. Get over it and move on. I assume bbigboy in school to be able to get a job so he can accumulate wealth, and I guess by his rant, be on the rich people who suck. Sounds like jealousy to me.

12. fg0d

fg0d Banned

You all have no reason you hate rich people. They are rich because they/parents are smart, they went to college; something that everyone should go to, even without enough cash ( loan ) . They buy fancy stuff better than yours because they can; they show it off because they mearly can. They dont all have shi77y personalities, just a few; if you believe they all do, you are a stereotype. I suggest you all stop hating on rich people, it really is pointless. They are normal people like you and me, they are only better than you if you make them better than you; dont fool yourself, buddy. If you are rich, hey man, lets be GOOD friends.

13. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Just how good a friend do you want to be?
    :eeek:

14. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

the only rich people i know are the nicest people you will ever meet. amazingly generous and helpful. the fact they spoil my neice every birthday/xmas/special occation is great as well :D

15. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 What's a Dremel?

"Maturity cannot be measured in years"

16. fg0d

fg0d Banned

^^ just in measurments of 365 days

17. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

^^ is close but not quite correct, it is measured in measurments of 365.25 days

AND NO DON'T LET THIS BECOME A PERSON ABOVE YOU THREAD!!

But I would have to aggree with Zap, I live in an area where most of the people could be classified as either well off or rich. And I know families that fit into all 3 of the categories that Zap has pointed out. But for the most part, the people in this area are really kind to each other.