1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Rasberry Pi Competition: Bulky - Completed 15.3.2013

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tekonivel, 30 Jan 2013.

1. Asouter

Asouter --------

Hmmm yes definitely competition :D

2. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Some mobo standoffs are 3mm and you can get taps for those at your local hardware store or eBay all day long. You would use a 2.5mm drill bit for that.

3. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Yep, M3s I found everywhere. but i had lots the 6-32 standoffs and none M3s. But no worries anymore, yesterday UPS delivered the tapdrill to me.:clap:
    Have couple of days off now. There will be some progress done, tapping atleast. Have to practice engraving before i get that done. And I also got the leds. have to test how those will work.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2013
  4. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Ok here it is, the Pi mounted. Tapped the holes for mobo standoffs. (sorry about the quality)
    [​IMG]
    And boy was this a ball buster to do. This was my first time tapping, so i practiced. Drilled 10 holes and tapped those, all straight. Conclusion, "this is easy!". Oh was I wrong. the two holes both went crooked the opposite direction, so the holes did not line up even close.:wallbash:
    Solution to his was that i drilled the holes 2nd time and kept the bit spinning still for a little while, so that the heat would melt the threads. Luckily this worked. 2nd time tapping i worked really carefully, and success.:rock:
    Lesson learned today.

5. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

That's actually a really good idea. Wish I'd thought of that for Render3 - I might actually have finished it then

6. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Update

Hey guys! Time for an update.
    Ok. I finally got brave enough to do some engraving, went well in my opinion. I used dremell and small ball tip engraving bit.
    I also installed the led that will light up the engraving. Filed the led down and made 3 mill deep groove for it to make it fit inside the acrylic. i wanted the led to point inside the acrylic to have better lighting effect. And for all of you here, I even tried to sleeve the led cables that are coming out between the spacers. But that made the cables so stiff that i was not able to connect them to the GPIO pins. I also have to work on the single pin connectors, to make them smaller.
    Ok enough talk. Here is the picture. (I quess it is not a secret for what this Pi will be used in this family):)
    [​IMG]
    Led is lid by 3v battery in this picture. It will get its power from GPIO.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2013
  7. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Looks cool! Nice to see this many projects from finnish modders. :)

8. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Thank you.

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looks nice, glad BT threw this compo, spawned quite a lot of awesome. :):clap:

10. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Thanks.
    Glad too, fun to follow what others have thought of and designed. Spawns new ideas.

11. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Completed. Final pictures.

Ok here it is.

[​IMG]
    After some time of thinking I only added the brass spacers between the black plastic spacers to add some contrast. Really think it did't need anything else.

[​IMG]
    Here you can see how the led is wired the cables go in to the spacer hiding my solder work. Did try to sleeve the cables couple of time but there was simply not enough space to allow them to bend nicely. left the yellow cables as they were, next to them is the yellow coaxial port so i thoght the color was alright.

And couple picture more. the dark shot don't show the color correctly. it is bright green really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really happy how this ended up looking. Don't mind having it sitting next to my TV.

This concludes this build. Thanks to all who have been following and for the feedback you've given. And good luck to all in this competition

Have already plans for next project.

12. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Looking nice! I do hope thought that you can turn of that LED when its next to the PC (or that the photo just shows it a bit too extreme) :) Because I have the feeling it would almost overpower my ambilight XD

13. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Thats sweet dude, well done on completing it! Done the Pi proud! :D

14. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Thanks.
    It is the picture giving a bit wrong impression. Was afraid that it would be too bright but it's not. the side of the led is filed so it is spreading the light evenly. not like the tip of the led. And if i learn some coding I can control the led via GPIO.

Thank you. Loving your Wet Pi.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
  15. Asouter

Asouter --------

YAY, another completed Pi project, looks real good. :thumb: How do you get on with xbmc ?

16. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Thanks.
    Have not installed it yet. Hopefully not going to run into any major problems(knock on wood), the engraving is kind of hard to remove :D

17. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Word of advice

Hey all the guys using Raspberry don't buy yourself a kingston sd10v card ( I have sd10v 16gb), you might not get it working. I have issues with it and after researching around it so do several others. If you have one give it a go but don't buy one unless you have other use for it.
    I will try sandisk ultra next. will post here how it works.
    -cheers

18. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Sandisk ultra class 10 works like a charm.

[​IMG]

19. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

double post sorry

Last edited: 19 Mar 2013
  20. White-Fox

White-Fox What's a Dremel?

Looking nice and simple :p good luck in the contest pal!