Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ehlers, 2 Feb 2013.
Thanks a lot!
I feel a big difference in the wood after it has dried. So I'll give the chisels a go!
So. Got a bit of work done today. still some way to go, but todays progress really gives a good feel about the shape I'll be going for.
Now, on to the pictures!
Here's the setup I use for sanding. It works pretty well. Also I use goggles and earprotection. I'll admit to not using gloves, which might seem stupid. However, the grit of the belt isn't very coarse, and I loose the feeling of the wood and belt, when using gloves. So far, no accidents on this account, even though my fingers have hit the belt a few times - knock on wood... (Get it?)
Here's the top from above It's still uneven, and in need of some high-grit sanding, but I like the look.
This is one of the sidewalls if the inside. Hopefully I won't have to remove much from the inside!
This pic shows the fit so far. Not bad, in my own oppinion.
Here's the case directly from the front. I'll be removing some of the wood on the right side, in order to get the sides somewhat even.
I would have sanded more, but again, I started late. Good thing the deadline's far from now!
Also, the reason the plugholes in the side have not been made is, that I'd really prefer to sketch theese from a real Pi. I haven't forgotten them.
I had planned to get a lot more work done on the Pi-case this weekend, but I ended up cleaning off some copper, which I'm planning to use in an upcomming, fullsize casemod.
However, I did put a bit of time and effort to the Pi. Here's the progress so far:
As I showed in the last update, the case was a a bit fat in the one side. I started by trimming that a bit. This has surely helped!
Next, I grabbed my chisel, as adviced in here, and went to war on the inside. It's not an easy task. The case has really thin sides, so I was affraid to snap them, or cut myself.
Here's the SD hole, but this time much more even. This picture is before finegrit sanding.
Theese next pics show the top sanded at 240 grit.
Inside's still a tad uneven, though the chisel, followed by sanding has helped a lot!
Here they are atop each other. I like the look!
I'm still looking for a Pi I can test-fit it with. Also, I have an idea for some detailing, that I'll give a go. Not sure the idea even works, but I have to try it out! Will be a surprise though.
Sooooo smooooth. I needs to touch it!
I've been touching it a lot. Feels very nice and smooth!
Thank you! Much appreciated!
- Face detected!
Keep up the good work
What's seen cannot be unseen!
So, as you might have noticed, nothing has happened for a long time. This is due to loads of schoolwork, lots of photo-work and a rather troubled relationsship. The latter has resulted in my GF moving out, which has drained my energy and time.
I'm HOPING I can get some more work done, so I'll be able to stay in the competition.
Sad to hear life has been busting your balls mate! But on the bright side, you've got more than a week left! Imagine how much you could do in a week! TONS I tell you TONS!
So, I've actually done tons! Sorta anyways...
First I had to make a new template, as the old one had vanished. I guess I must've cleaned my desk at some point.
Next, I went to my basement and found an old desktop, from which I salvaged two mobo-screws. I knew keeping it would pay up some day!
I marked up the base and slowly drilled up , starting with a 2mm drill, up to a 6mm. I marked the depth in tape, so I wouldn't drill too far.
Here's the holes.
The "loft" of the top wasn't as even as I'd have liked. So I found some sand-filling for walls, and filled the worst part. I's not completely even, but it helped a lot.
I figured there needed to be an easteregg. And, as a full wood look might have been a tad borring, my first thought was to paint the inside white. But then I found this vinyl, which I've used on the engine of my car, and decided to go with it.
On the lid of the case I went for a Raspberry pi logo. Found it online, printed it, taped it to the top, and drew on it a bunch of times with a blue ballpen.
Here's the scetch.
Then I covered the inside of the lid with vinyl aswell.
I finished the logo on top with a CD-marker.
Now it's time for some shine. Ship-laquer at gloss 90.
Here's the difference while it's wet.
And a wee closeup of the top half. This is just the first layer.
Each layer has to set for 12 hours, then get a very fine sanding, and a new layer. So I recon this gives me just enough time to do one more layer of laquer tomorrow morning, and then have it dried up enough, for me to take the final photos for the competition. Phew... This is getting me stressed out! And I even skipped some homework to do this bit tonight!
I just managed to give it another layer this morning. To show the gloss of it, I snapped a quick photo with my window in the background. It should be dry enough to handle at about 21.00-22.00 tonight. So I'll have to do a small photoshoot and send in the email for the competition just before bedtime.
I've started a small video with some of the pictures and a tad of music. I reckon I'll add some finished pics to it, and post it here aswell. Just for the mood of it.
Here's the gloss shown.
I just managed to get the last bits done theese few last days. Phew!
Anyways. Here are some pics of the finished case. Enjoy!
Spot the face
Just to show the dimensions.
The wood has come out wonderfully, good job and really chuffed you got this finished in time. Good luck in the competition
Great work! Glad you came up from your difficulties to finish in time.
Separate names with a comma.