1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Raspberry Pi HDMI to Dell 23" via Display Port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynamis_dk, 17 May 2013.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'm looking to play at setting up my raspberry pi for xbmc duties so I'm looking at options for hooking up to my Dell LCD so I can sit at my desk and play.

Do we have any confirmed working adapters to allow me to take the HDMI from the Pi to a Display port on the Dell screen?

The dell has DVI, VGA and Display port but the DVI and VGA are both in use and I don't really want a switching box so would like to use the displayport :)

advice please :clap:

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I don't think its possible to go from hdmi to displayport in that way, at least not with a simple passive adapter.

3. dynamis_dk

That's kind of what I'm looking to find for sure. There is plenty of adapters on eBay but I'm not buying till I know it will work and since its just for testing anything over £10-15 is out of the question

4. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Can you swap one of the existing confections over to display port?
    I spent ages looking for an adapter for mine and then realised I could just hook the PC up via display port instead of DVI.

5. dynamis_dk

Hmmm maybe, pretty sure my gfx doesn't have displayport out but I I can easily convert DVI to displayport then yeah that would work :)

6. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

You can buy HDMI to DP cables, but they depend on a Displayport output that can recognise the cable to send an HDMI compatible signal on the cable, the other way round doesn't work (I tried) -- you'd need an active converter for that to work. Similarly DVI to DisplayPort needs an active converter.

If you can then try and switch any other device over, and then use a HDMI to DVI cable / adapter for the RPi (HDMI and DVI are essentially the same thing electrically but with different connectors / audio), but otherwise you'd need an active converter.