1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rattner: Machines more intelligent than us by 2050

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Aug 2008.

1. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Computers are already more intelligent then most of the UK's teenagers.

2. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Not convinced by this one. At the end of the day, a robot is always going to require a program to run, which will have been written by a human. Given the adage that you have to be a better programmer to debug a program than to write it, by definition there won't be any robots more intelligent than humans.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

any video of this?

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Not necessarily

5. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

yeah, I wanted to say this a couple times before when these posts come up....

programs can not only be taught to LEARN but also to A) reprogram themselves and B) create derivatives. Assuming that only humans can learn to program, and by extension create robot-software, is a very limited point of view, that to me at least holds little weight if any.

6. jjsyht

jjsyht Hello, my name is yuri

Its getting done. Google Evolutionary Algorithm, or more specifically Genetic Programming.

7. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

This is old news, many years ago i saw this documentary called robocop where they made a superior robot out of a dead guy or something. Intel is far behind if all they`ve made is an arm!

8. Carcarius

Carcarius What's a Dremel?

One way to look at it is that robots follow along in the natural evolution of life. They are extended from man and will one day, with advances to energy and nanotechnology, be pretty self-sufficient without the need to consume anything. They could draw use a mix of solar power, nuclear power, or any manner of energy creation and storage that hasn't been conceived yet. In this way, I don't see robots as the doom to mankind. Just an extension and/or evolution. Robots, if smart enough will realize that the universe is their playground, not Earth. They will likely leave us to hopefully share their experiences (a/v feeds, materials forensic data, etc..) since it is increasingly unlikely that humans will ever put the effort to space exploration. We have too many problems to deal with at home to leave to explore the cosmos.

9. Carcarius

Carcarius What's a Dremel?

Robots will some day be pretty intelligent but they can be tricked/hacked (same thing?) by a human or possibly even other robots. So there will need to be forethought into security mechanisms during our engineering process of future robots. What are the current security mechanisms that life forms use today? I'm not going through a list and naming them since I can't name them all (others here in the forums can add their thoughts here). Robots will likely use any existing wireless technologies with the option of wired technologies as well. So, the primary communications media would likely be wireless. Could somebody/something easily inject a signal that cold cause a change in behavior in a robot listening in on a given wavelength? Certainly. So there is plenty of room for mischief here. We know it will happen, so I hope they are thinking of ways to mitigate this ahead of time.

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i wonder how long before they invent the masturbateobot ("found it, rubbed it off).......

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Just google 'dildonics'...

12. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

QFT.

13. salesman

salesman What's a Dremel?

Why is intel saying this in a keynote? All Justin Rattner is doing is showing off what intel has accomplished, hence why it is called keynote, which is impressive.

However 2050 is a lot of time for us, Humans, to kill each other before we even realize this dream of intel's (and so many other people in the world) to make a robot that is better then a human in rather startling ways. I believe the future holds great potential all we gotta do is get along.

14. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

If there is anything which makes Humans different it is the fact that we make almost all decisions based on emotion, artificial intelligence, however, can never have emotion, atleast not true emotion which again brings me to the question, what is intelligence? If we do not understand that, we have nothing more than a logical calculator.

Tags: Add Tags