1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Razer Imperator Gaming Mouse Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 15 May 2010.

1. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

You are obviously someone that is so impressed with the high numbers that you would buy this mouse to increase the size of your e-peen.

Show me a controlled test where a high DPI mouse outperformed or at least was notably different from an otherwise identical lower DPI mouse. There are examples of problems and drawbacks, with no examples of benefits. 1600 DPI is the useful maximum.

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Nice mouse. Stupidly expensive. I'll pass.

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

All you need to do is to use a high DPI mice and a low DPI mice. Match the sensitivity, like say, having 1~2 levels of acceleration for the H DPI and having 9~10 for the low DPI. Then move the cursor. Which would be more accurate? The H DPI tracks much more accurately, rather than the low DPI which makes relatively huge hops across the screen. It's like aiming with a sniper scope and with iron sights.

Perhaps as a person that does some photomanip work I do feel the need for accuracy where others don't.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ill stick to my G5 that i got in a staples sale last year for £20, easily the best mouse ive ever had.

5. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

I'm a big fan of my Razer Lachesis, so I may consider purchasing one of these.

6. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

I got a Deathadder when orignally released and had the below issues:
    - felt hot to the hand
    - always got covered in sweat and crime which was hardly noticeable after only a few minutes use
    - base wasn't flush so scratched on mouse pad constantly
    - driver stability issues
    - mouse pointer jumping position when lifting mouse

It got somewhat better after driver updates but still the other issues remained. My Deathadder got stolen and I "downgraded" to a M$ Intellimouse 3.0 Explorer which the Deathadder is based on and I couldn't be happier. It has none of the issues I listed and no other trouble either. I hope they do a wireless version with M$'s blue track tech oneday soon.

7. Grimloon

Grimloon New Member

@the-lighthouse: I've only had one occasional issue with mine and that is that it sometimes takes a second or two for mouse input to respond after Windows starts. That's it so far. I only replaced my Diamondback with this one because the scroll wheel finally gave up after around 5ish years.

The adjustable side buttons are useful as I couldn't always reach the forward one on the Diamondback but have changed the Imperator so my thumb sits naturally between the two. I suppose it's down to whether you have smaller or larger hands as I find all of the Logitech MX series to be just too big while the Razer feels better proportioned.

I honestly don't see the fact that the sides are glossy to be a problem as it's far less area than on many mice and a quick wipe with a cloth sorts it out.

I just hope it lasts as long as the Diamondback did as that was what made me decide to buy it in the first place.

8. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy New Member

Short story: I agree with the review.

Long story: I've had this mouse since Dec. I to have experienced the odd disconnect issue twice that lighthoused metioned. I replug it and its fine. I haven't experienced any other issues.

I highly recommend it even with the odd disconnect issue. It fits and works extremely well for me. I'm a smaller handed finger tip/claw gamer. The majority of mice seem to be designed for palm gamers. Those mice are big and uncomfortable.

I did have a Logitech G9. It was also very nice but the mouse feet wore off in under a year.

9. RyanxD

RyanxD New Member

I think I'm going to get one one of these. I've had my original diamondback for a very long time now and never had any issues with it, + it will match my recently purchased Lycosa keyboard

10. Hot Nikks

Hot Nikks New Member

Does anyone really use a mouse in their left hand? I'm left-handed and have used the mouse in my right from the very beginning. It always felt weird using one left handed. Maybe I've screwed myself using the mouse in my off hand and maybe that's why I could never do gestures in Black & White ;P

11. RichMe1ster

RichMe1ster New Member

Did you actually read ALL of the review? if you did you would've notice the great example he made specifically establishing the significance for a "on the go" adjustable DPI setting Bad Company 2 (or any FPS w/vehicles and sniping which is almost all these days...) . The advantage between adjusting the sensitivity rate in-game when mounting onto vehicle weapons in an essential difference between a 'guy that plays games' and a competitive gamer that utilizes the specific feature. This mouse is targeted towards the more competitive player and has accordingly accommodated such needs. Sniping is another good example that follows this same principle. You can lower your DPI to the point that picking off heads on the ridge is easy and not worrying about your cross-hairs jumping 20ft/sec I understand your bash about the over price of "plastic and buttons" but at least understand why they would engineer an adjustable DPI setting before considering it irrelevant. I change my DPI all the time between Sniping, Vehicle, and Regular.

@the-lighthouse I have the exact same problem with my imperator where it stops responding sometimes... I think its defective so I am gonna try a new one out. its completely frustrating in the middle of a game where your cursor stops responding and mine happens at least once a day. BTW I hate Razer Customer Service, do NOT recommend them, no number, just a trail of emails telling you that if you purchased one of their products with cash at a store in the last 90 days and you don't keep receipts for 90 days... and you're still under the 2 year warranty considering the mouse was released LATE 2009 (gives me till 2011 for all you math haters) ... you're basically screwed for warranty unless you have some form of proof of purchase. its appalling and unreasonable and will deter me from ever purchasing another Razer product ever again (only 22 years old and i plan to game till i die : ) so BIG lost in investment for Razer ) and recommending it to any of my gamer friends .

12. Windfaller

Windfaller New Member

Its too much cash for a mouse, at least for me, I don't need all that fancy stuff. Especially the thumb buttons, I've never had a problem with any I've used.

13. NetSphere

NetSphere New Member

Sadly, I confirm having problems with the Z-axis above in 1).

Actually, I find the point 2) to be a bigger problem and it's now been 1 year 9 months since I bought it and the Razer Imperator has actually stopped working altogether. I now plug it in, it works for 5 minutes, then the mouse starts lagging. Yes, LAGGING! For a mouse! As in the mouse simply stops registering for a few milsecs. And then it stops working altogether.

Currently getting a refund from Amazon after going through Razer support. Really quite disappointed for such an expensive mouse. Doubt I will buy another Razer mouse again.

Tags: Add Tags