1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Razer Mako 2.1 speakers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Wirelessness? =P

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Hmmm.... interesting.
    Do you have to place the speakers on a hard desk, because I should think that the quality of the sound could vary hugely depending on your desk.

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

That price seems excessively high, I got a 5.1 set of speakers for 200~ last year, although ofcourse they need an external amp but still..

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Excessive price for 2.1 obviously.

Could you wire the speakers via a local network then?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Anything but thick carpet.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

You know **** can be bougth at very low price these days :) The price isn't too high if the speakers just provide good enough sound to justify it.

They look pretty nice IMO and if they sound as nice then I'd imagine there will be people interested in buying a set of these. Aftet all not everyone needs, wants or CAN PROPERLY PLACE a 5.1 set.

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

You should always place a sub on the floor (unless u have a 4" thick table handy), it will greatly increase the base but as Bindi said don't use thick carpet, it can muffle the audio.

I have seen this set on sale a lot lately, probably due to the price and sub par performance.

9. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I prefer sticking to stereo's for my audio needs. my PC is connected to my main stereo with optical SPDIF and second stereo with a 3.5mm to RCA plug (second stereo speakers go under my couch for added bass/vibrating couch).
    for the price of these 2.1 speakers, I could get a half decent stereo like this:
    [​IMG]

anyway, it's good to see more peripheral hardware reviews on Bit. I wouldn't mind seeing a round up of front panel/fan controllers, myself (though they all do pretty much the same thing, some more gimmicky and more bling-y than others)

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i thnk razer are being very ambitious with their pricing here. i guess that razer is a kind of gamers armarni now and can charge what they want as long as a glowing tri-snake is included somewhere

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

agreed, tried setting up a 5.1 and it was a bitch! just wondering how these things would work in a game environment....

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It always amazes me that PC speakers can defy the laws of science and produce great sound from tiny speakers, even after the sound is bounced off floor, walls and the ceiling, plus any other objects around. And no restricted "listening position", sit anywhere for the full sonic experience;
    It seems mounting expensive speakers on expensive stands well away from walls and corners is pointless, when a mere £250 will get the budding audiophile these. Cheap at half the price.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think a true audiophile will be seen dead with anything that doesn't need to be connected to an amp to function.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I highly doubt many audiophiles would buy this. Not because it's bad, which by the sound of the review it isn't, but because it doesn't have SPDIF and/or optical in. And let's face it: Many audiophiles today don't have a clue what really good audio is. They just think 'Wow, expensive! Must be good!' as HTR will definitely point out at some point of this discussion. ;)

I would no doubt be happy with those speakers, judging by the review as I think they look good and apparently they sound accordingly. Then I saw the price and all my will to buy that vanished.

15. Goty

Goty Minimodder

It's nothing special to fill a room with sound with a 2.1 system; my Creative Gigaworks T20s do that and they're just a 2.0 system!

16. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

the thing I notice is that pe a €190,- 5.1 system for pc's outperforms a lot of home cinema systems costing around €1000 (and those systems only add the dvd playback function :S) I really like this design from Razer as well as it's omni-surround-functionality, haven't heard it so can't judge on the sound quality... shame tho they lack the things like spdif/optical a well as a remote (at least I didn't see one in the review) or else they could be used as a hcs

17. Toka

Toka Minimodder

18. Lilliput King

Lilliput King What's a Dremel?

I'm worried about my z-5500s now :D

How thick is thick? I mean, my carpet is kind of standard wall to wall thing but not shag. Just the untextured stuff.

19. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I don't see how carpeting would affect sound unless you had a down-firing subwoofer.

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

...Did you read the article?

Tags: Add Tags