1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer releases Surround virtual 7.1 software for free

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Jun 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I'm really liking this company more and more.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The good: calibrating a HRTF is going to net you slightly better results than the default generic HRTFs included in every modern sound card and motherboard on-board chip (usually labelled as 'headphone mode' or similar).

The bad: emulating a 7.1 setup of sources, while providing some measure of 'backward compatibility' with already surround-sound enabled games, does not take advantage of the effects you can do with true positional audio. I was hoping Razer had paid off Creative and resurrected Aureal 3D.

The ugly: Synapse 2.0. To actually try this, you need to install Razer's bloated cloud ********.

Synapse is the deal-breaker. 0 is too high a price to install that crap on my machine.

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Downloaded it last night, haven't tried it yet.

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Personally I quite like Synapse. Nice to have my configurations saved somewhere without worrying about them. I'll have to try this out. Have been a big Razer fan for some time.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That somewhere used to be on the device the configuration was used for, sadly now if you want to use your config somewhere that has no internet or prevents installing software your lost.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

It still does that too Corky, but it's nice to have a backup.

8. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Hum, it's not that bad really.

Having tried the Corsair 1500's, razer tiamats, turtle beach earforce charlies (LOL stupid name), seperate drivers always come out on top for positional audio.

It definitely expands the soundscape and comes very close to the realms of dedicated 5/7.1.

Kudos Razer. Good work.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have they re-introduced the on-board memory ?

The little information i could find points to them bringing it back in 2013, if indeed they have its a good move. Though im still not a lover of the cloud storage and the way you sell your soul with their TOS agreement.

10. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

installed it and the demo sounded good.

11. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

I must admit that I found it usefull, positional audio in Red Orchestra2/Rising Storm feels better and more precise and I'm experiencing even better gameplay(on stereo headphones). There's maybe some audio quality downgrade, but not so noticeable in games.
    Good one Razer